Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 30th, 2020 08:00

Inspiron 5591 2-in-1, broken hinges (x3)

I bought three Inspiron 5591 2-in-1 laptops with the flip screen. I had to send 2 back immediately since the webcam was non-functional, so lost 3 weeks for the depot to replace the display.

Used all three very lightly, maybe flipped the screens fully a dozen times per design and opened/closed the screens like a normal laptop about 7-10 times per week. We're talking less than 300 total open/close lid events in the first 6 months of use for each laptop. No abuse, just regular usage. 

8 months later (two of the in the same week), all three are starting to shows signs of cracking the bezel and LCD display at the bottom right hinge. I called Tech support to report this flaw and seek help. I was DENIED! They told me this was obviously customer caused damage and they would be happy to help at my expense (at least $300 each). That is almost half the value of each laptop. I would understand and agree if this was the result of mishandling, but certainly not the case here.  

Seriously, in my opinion this is a design flaw so why am I on the hook to pay for it? Very disappointed in Dell. I'm out over $1,900 for laptops that cannot be used as laptops anymore. The Basic warranty should cover this and I was told as much when I spoke to the Customer Sales rep. So misleading. I also tried multiple calls to service managers but no one will offer any assistance. I've been a long time user of Dell from residential to Enterprise class systems. 

So this is my last ditch effort for help. Anyone have suggestions for working with Dell to get this issue resolved to some degree of satisfaction?  Or have suggestions on how to open the display and chassis to loosen and adjust the screen hinges? Obviously Dell warranties don't matter anymore, so I'm willing to do the work myself.

Or am I the only one having problems with these 2-in-1 laptops?

2 Posts

December 10th, 2021 12:00

Hi there!

I had this problem with my laptop too while it was in warranty. In contrast to your experience, Dell was extremely helpfull. They reached out to me in chat after seeing my post and then when I explained the issue, they were happy to send me a box so I can pack up my laptop and send it to them. All shipping was covered by Dell. It took them about a month to figure out that the parts required to fix my laptop were not available. It was my finals month so I pressured them to do whatever it takes to fix the issue. Then Dell reached out to me and said they are sending me a replacement laptop, which was an upgrade from my previous one. The laptop came to me in a week. Even though my data is not Dells responsibility, Dell also sent me the SSD of my previous laptop which contained all my data from the previous laptop. Overall, even though it took some time. I was happy that Dell was super responsive and fixed everything free of cost.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 30th, 2020 12:00

Adding images so the community can see what I'm talking about. Mind you, these are laptops that were used lightly in an office environment, not mishandled by clumsy users. We can no longer open or close the screens out of fear they will break.  

Trust me, if you see this happening, you need to contact Dell BEFORE you break the LCD. Otherwise you will be blamed for rough handling and they won't fix it. Even now, I'm not sure if they will help me on the other two.

This is our third laptop.  The right hinge and bezel are clearly malfunctioning, and the screen could break any day.This is our third laptop. The right hinge and bezel are clearly malfunctioning, and the screen could break any day.Right Hinge and cracked screen... first to breakRight Hinge and cracked screen... first to breakLeft hinge is popping the bezel (part of same cracked screen laptop)Left hinge is popping the bezel (part of same cracked screen laptop)This laptop looks ok, but the bezel seperates when opening or adjusting the screen.  Just leave open to avoid breaking.This laptop looks ok, but the bezel seperates when opening or adjusting the screen. Just leave open to avoid breaking.

June 9th, 2021 10:00

I have the same problem

December 6th, 2021 12:00

I have an exact problem. Just do a search and you'll see many people have the same problem. In my opinion, this is a manufacturing defect. What is the point of warranty if Dell doesn't cover any damage caused by their bad design?

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

September 12th, 2024 02:51

This is exactly what my inspiron 5591 is doing too. I am a very light user of my laptop, and aside from this it is in like new condition. I have been loyal to Dell and this is my 5th laptop from them in 24 years, and I have never had a hardware issue like this. Please tell me how I can fix it.

No Events found!