Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2020 12:00

Inspiron 5593 Type C Port inquiry

Hello, I have a dell Inspiron 5593, Can I charge the laptop by a power bank through type C port. or it's only used for data??. I've seen some laptops get charged through type C. I've tried with an Anker 20000 power bank but nothing happened

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 13th, 2020 13:00

@Silent-Nudge The Setup and Specifications document for that system, available on support.dell.com, specifically says that the USB-C port does not support Power Delivery, which means it can't be charged that way.  It also says it doesn't support display output, so it does indeed appear to be a data only port.

However, even if USB-C charging was supported, most power banks do not have the wattage output capacity to charge laptops.  You only said you have an Anker 20000 power bank.  That isn't very helpful because Anker makes a lot of 20000 power banks, but the "20000" is its energy storage capacity, which is measured in mAh (or sometimes WHr).  You need to look at its energy output capacity/delivery rate, which is measured in W (watts).  Most power banks only provide 10-18W output in order to support smartphones and tablets.  The Setup and Specifications document for your system indicates that it uses either a 45W or 65W power source, possibly depending on the specific hardware you have, such as whether you have a discrete GPU.  Check the power adapter that actually came with your laptop to see its wattage output.  There are some power banks that support 65W output, like the Dell PW7018LC.  It offers 65W output and 65WHr capacity, which is roughly equivalent to 20,000 mAh given 3.3V output of Li-Ion cells.  But as you'll see, the PW7018LC is quite a bit more expensive than a more typical power bank that has a similar storage capacity but a significantly lower output capacity.

• 

25.3K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

1.5K Posts

Well that battery would not be large enough to charge a computer regardless. For Charging through a USB C port that port must support bi-directional PD

USB C port,  support different technologies so you need to know Which yours does support.

To get this information you need to log on to  Dell Support, enter your model number, and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual, Full Specifications,  and Drivers. You answer will be in the full specification where you should see what all your USB C port supports

No Events found!