Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

June 29th, 2020 20:00

Inspiron 7391 Overheating and Failing to Connect to Internet

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a Dell Inspiron 7391 2-in-1 laptop. I’d been really excited to upgrade to this, as I had had a good experience with my previous Inspiron and needed the upgrade in RAM and processor for some grad school work. I just received the laptop today, and loaded Sophos, MalwareBytes, Python, and Firefox onto it. At this point, the machine began running at 90% or higher CPU usage and, while it had always been warm beyond pleasantness, got truly painful to the touch. Following advice from other forums, I went into BIOS settings and turned off both the Intel Step-Up and TurboBoost settings. That helped somewhat, although not totally, with the heat (it still is probably 50° C even with no apps running). However, now I cannot connect to Internet despite the machine showing me as being connected to WiFi. I have tried forgetting our network and re-entering, restarting the machine— no dice. 

I could use any advice you have. I am clearly not tech savvy but I feel like this is a lot of trouble shooting to have to do for such an expensive piece of machinery in literally the first 3 hours of owning it. I had hoped to have this little fella last me through grad school but I’m not sure that that’s feasible— and if not, I’m not sure that I should have this laptop. 

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 30th, 2020 09:00

@cedfw97 

Your laptop is most likely trying to do all of the Windows 10 updates.

Leave it alone and let it do its thing.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2020 10:00

How would I be able to tell for sure if it’s just doing updates? I don’t want to be impatient, but I just don’t want to wait a week to be able to use this thing. 

• 

25.1K Posts

June 30th, 2020 14:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!