Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2022 17:00

Inspiron 7510 - Audio stuttering issue - Intermittent

Inspiron 15 7510

Inspiron 15 7510

Dear Dell Community

I'm reaching out to keep a log here with the wider users and community team (who have been very helpful in the past).

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I started noticiing that My Inspiron 7510 will intermittently stutter on audio and in that moment the laptop would freeze. It used to happen - may be 4-5 times a day when it started. Slowly and steadily the issue has increased its frequency to 10 times in an hour.

This is where the "geek" in me started researching and applying things that came to my mind with my past experiences.

Here's what I did

1. ePSA and SupportAssist- tests - both short and long ones. I specifically did ePSA on the devices I can think of that can cause this issue - example SSD, speakers, Processor, RAM etc - every test came out as Passed

2. Then I started working my way up from BIOS -

reset BIOS - no go

BIOS update - no go

Delete drivers from Device Manager for anything that's audio and video and install fresh drivers from support.dell.com - result No Go

Increased Virtual Memory - no go

Disabled Maxx Audio along with the services - no go

Reinstalled Maxx Audio app - no go

Reinstalled every chipset driver - no go

Confirmed Windows is Up-to-date- - even Optional Updates - no go

3. Finally pulled the trigger - reset to factory by downloading the fresh image - immediately checked Youtube playback - no go (issue persists)

4. I painstakingly installed everything back and I have now reached out to Dell Technical Support team - this past Monday.

5. Moni from Dell Tech ran the SmartLeap application - there were a few fixes - however, the issue wasn't fixed - still audio stuttering happening

6. Moni advised that Dell Field Tech (Unisys) will replace my speakers - ETA is Friday

Now, I am here writing on a Wednesday. I will update the post if replacing speakers fixed the issue.

I have my fingers crossed - however, with all my knowledge and experience I feel its not the speakers.

So reaching out to the community here - if they had similar issues too.

BTW - I'm on WIN 11 Pro - shouldn't be a peice of concern - just letting the community know

20 Posts

November 4th, 2022 14:00

Issue was with SSD.

I had to purchase a SSD myself as Dell declined to send me the faulty part.

Its only after multiple back and forth with promises that a Dell Engineering team is working on my issue - a team that didn't even call me to check the issue. This past week Dell sent the SSD. I am using the Dell SSD as secondary drive.

This was a technical support horror if there was any

I ended up paying 200AUD for a faulty Dell Part which Dell should have replaced - on time

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 20th, 2022 23:00

This is a often reported problem, and not just Dell's as I see the problem reported on other computer forums with different brands of PC's.

There is no "one fix' for the problem. Wi-Fi is a cause on some but not all.

Reinstalling the Dell, model specific, sound drivers has fixed some.

Video has also caused some.

Dell Support Assist is a potential

As a first step, download and reinstall the Dell Realtek sound driver

20 Posts

September 21st, 2022 02:00

Tried that as well.. no go

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 21st, 2022 06:00

I would have to go with the network not being able to supply the stream.  You might watch the Task Manager during such incidents to see if that changes as far as the stream.

Do you know of anything on your system that might be limiting bandwidth?

Have you narrowed it down to any particular type of media stream.  If it was only YouTube, you might try lowering the video resolution to see if it even makes a difference.

You might try entering the following command in a run box and see if the graph produced shows any problems, especially during streaming times.

perfmon /rel

20 Posts

September 21st, 2022 17:00

I have tried eagle watching on task manager as well.. nothing out of ordinary.

Also, issue persists with any audio.. local games like AOE 4 or NFS rivals and different online streaming like YouTube Netflix Disney+

It's been getting worse.. I'm doing a factory reset again.. smh..

591 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 04:00

Hello,

press the windows key +r and type "mmsys.cpl" (no "") select the speaker and click properties at the bottom now choose the advanced tab is "enable sound enhancements" enabled ? disable it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 07:00

If you have already done a factory reset and the problem came back, then it might be best to stick it out and find the problem.

If you do a factory reset, don't install any software without checking if the problem already exists.  

It still may not be your computer.  Did you watch the Task Manager's Performance tab for the Wi-Fi or Ethernet downloads?

You must be seeing indications of the problem in the graph produced when you run the command perfmon /rel in a run box.

20 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 17:00

Just in case people need to know what I'm going through - I was able to record a video and you need to be patient till the end of the video.

Audio Stuttering 

To answer the queries - nothing out of ordinary seen on Reliablity monitor or Task Manager.

I am just worried if its a Processor issue

3 Apprentice

• 

560 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 18:00

Probably not the problem, but did you try re-seating the memory modules?

Only other thing I can think of would be the hard drive. I had a hard drive in a Windows 98/2000 era computer years ago as a secondary storage drive, where for some reason it would cause the audio to stutter every several seconds during playback in Windows Media Player. Physically disconnecting that hard drive and eventually replacing it with another one solved the problem.

Furthermore, when new, my Dell Inspiron 3583 would randomly freeze up for several moments while using Firefox, then start working normally again. After replacing the factory supplied hard drive with a NVMe SSD and removing it completely from the system, the freezes went away. All existing data was cloned to the new drive, so a clean install of Windows wasn't performed. I know that has nothing to do with the audio, but just like the computer that I previously mentioned, the drive was causing problems somewhere with the system.

Seeing that the stuttering happens with a fresh install of Windows, I would try replacing the hard drive (or in your case, the NVMe SSD) with another one and see what happens. Reinstall Windows on the new NVMe drive, but don't put any personal files or sensitive information on it until you have verify that the old drive was the problem (for the sake of returning). Most likely, you may have a failing NVMe drive, seeing that the occurrence of the stuttering has increased.

20 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 19:00

I had a tech over - he has replaced the speakers - issue is not fixed as expected.

Tech from Unisys said that its a motherboard issue and has said that he will order the parts

20 Posts

September 26th, 2022 02:00

Just an update y'all - Motherboard is scheduled to be replaced tomorrow

20 Posts

September 29th, 2022 05:00

So.. Unisys was no show for last 3 days.. 1 is scheduled for Friday now..

Dell.. not so good going

20 Posts

September 30th, 2022 00:00

Friday update

Tech arrived and didn't replace motherboard

He reckons Battery issue and he's ordered battery now.

I am not able to put my wits together with this issue

Need help from Community and Dell Gurus

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 30th, 2022 07:00

I was also having a sound problem. But I installed the wrong driver.

20 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 00:00

Tech will come on Tuesday - I did text him that issue was never fixed - I hope he brings motherboard and battery as well

No Events found!