Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:15

February 1st, 2018 11:00

OK. This thing does not even have extra connections for another drive. If you can test on another computer or with

an adapter to usb. That is what I use here for drive images and it is a 850 EVO I have

72 Posts

This is my first Dell product so not up on their options. My Asus and HP laptops came with second connections.

So I thought the Dell would also. WRONG !!

72 Posts

I have the same model as you. The m.2 drive I have is  SK hynix  SC308  SATA and still trying to understand

the M.2 specs. I think there are two types of m.2 specs. I also do not know if Dell does their own sneaky thing with 

drives so you have to buy from them. SSD's are not like memory where you can go to a site like Corsair and x-reference the information. so I am still looking around for a x-reference.

Sorry I can't give you any more info

5 Posts

Forgot to mention that the Samsung 850 is a 2.5" drive. I am trying to install it in addition to the 256GB in the M2 slot.

5 Posts

That's not true. It has an M2 slot and a 2.5" slot. You can even buy it preconfigured with 2 drives.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 14:00

I am running a 250 GB Samsung 850 for a second drive.  You probably have you SATA controller set to RAID, which should work..

I installed my second drive after I had installed a Samsumg 960 Pro as in the M.2 slot but it should not have a problem seeing yours.

There have been some firmware updates for all of my Samsung drives in the last few weeks, you might check if your drive needs one.  I will check my SSD drive again to make sure if it needs one, most of mine are M.2 drives.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 14:00

I just checked my drive and it did update the firmware from EXM02B6Q to EXM04B6Q.

If you don't know, they just rebuilt this site a couple of weeks ago and many of the prior threads are in the General section.  Folks did have problems getting a second drive recognized but perhaps I did not because I was running my M.2 drive in the other configuration.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2018 08:00

So I was able to test a different 2.5" drive in the slot and it was detected no problem and stayed connected through a couple hours of uptime and reboots. I am going to try to get my hands on a SATA/USB adapter and test the Samsung drive out that way to see if I can get it detected through USB. Dell also sent me a new cable to see if the cable could be the issue. If the drive is good and the new cable doesn't work it must be a BIOS/Chipset issue.

Also Dell support is great for giving BS copout answers. They told me "We have checked the system information and found that this system model is not tested with a SSD drive in the 2.5" SATA slot. The empty slot is available for a 2.5" HDD. Hence, we are not sure if the SSD is compatible with this system, and I believe that could be the reason for the SSD to not function correctly on this system."

It's a SATA interface. It shouldn't matter whether it's a HDD or an SSD.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 5th, 2018 15:00

I have a 850 Pro on my system so I cannot confirm the EVO version works, but it would be strange if it did not..

I don't remember if you mentioned but did you check the firmware version?

5 Posts

February 5th, 2018 15:00

I have confirmed that the drive works via a USB/SATA cable. So the problem lies with Dell

5 Posts

February 6th, 2018 06:00

Good news! I received a replacement interposer cable for my system and it seems to be working now. The firmware on the samsung drive was definitely up to date.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 6th, 2018 07:00

Well, not something you would normally suspect of causing a problem.. Good Work!
No Events found!