Start a Conversation

Unsolved

YW

4 Posts

December 30th, 2019 03:00

Inspiron 7573 2-in-1 some times the keys jump or skip like a cursor key ?

When I first bought my Dell Inspiron 7573 back in Christmas of Dec 2017.  I noticed even back the that the character cursor positions  would sometime jump or skip a line or regress back a few words or sentences when typing so if I am not paying attention I may cut in line with my progressive typing and completely make typing a very time consuming venture because I may have to go back and correct my sentence or paragraph at the point the cursor position intersected my prior sentence.  Believe me I know how to type and how to use a word processor or line text editor since MS-DOS was first published, not to mention how to use a typewriter back in the 1970's in grade school. 

The keyboard displacement issue makes typing a long document or trying to hold a text chat very frustrating! I have performed an upgrade of the BIOS currently 1.15.0 since I bought this Inspiron 7573 laptop with 2-in-1 capabilities which can be folded to use as a Tablet, which 'i rarely use and it has a touch screen as well.  

Has anyone else experienced this keyboard displacement issue of the active cursor when typing. To clarify the alpha-numeric characters and special characters are correct when i press the keys .. it is just that the immediate cursor position jumps/shifts/skips; whatever you want to call it and always back somewhere in the previous text. 

This is what i have tried so far to correct the cursor slippage issue.

1-Changed desktop and background themes to the very basic encase there is a compatibility issue.

2-Updated all drivers and software

3- Changed the font size. changed font styles, changed display settings pixel size etc..

4- Turned off certain bells and whistles like notifications, Cortana, in Windows 10 64-Bit Pro

5- Made sure there are no hardware conflicts with any other I/O external devices. Ran Dell Assistant , performed a full hardware diagnostic, which indicated NO Issues and that the Hardware was working fine. 

6- Performed a system (PC reset) in the Windows 10 recovery options... it did  NOT "shake" the problem loose!

7-Did several re configurations in the System BIOS page prior to reboots, still the problem persists. 

Given the fact I have troubleshoot this issue down to the most basic settings and levels , with no success of quelling the key cursor slippage while typing issue. I have at least concluded that the issue lays somewhere at "ground level" in the system configurations. I have even performed a scratch install of the Inspiron 7573 OS using the USB recovery stick I got directly from Dell themselves . reloading the Windows OS Windows 10 64-Bit Pro . Win 10  was the factory load when I bought the system back in Dec 2017. 

Without posting complete system configuration profile on a public forum or board (Which i would never do since that invites tons of trouble)

Has other Dell owner/users experienced the same issues with the Key cursor slippage when typing. Displacing the cursors position as if you presses a back tab spacing?!?! With the Inspiron 7573 or any other Dell system for that matter! Any insight offered would be very helpful!

2 Posts

March 24th, 2020 17:00

Yes this is a nightmare. this model has all sorts of erratic movements. the aursor on its own... highlighting sentences and then deleting them etc 

the pointer not moving or only going where it chooses. the keyboard buttons hardu to push

I have worked many hour with online techs without results, Dell techs, geek squad techs, other techs but mainly Dell techs. I have never had as many problems with a Dell until now when typing a long document, reports it drives me crazy

I am a professor at a university there need correctness I am even going to try to correct the wrong things in this note

October 26th, 2020 17:00

Thank you Kayah for your response .. sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. Since then I can tell you the problem has gotten worse. I now have issues with certain keys (Y,7,& etc)  I have to press them harder ad a sec longer for them to appear on the screen. This is very frustrating when I have to type in a password and the screen display is sequestered and I can not vouch for the accuracy of what I am entering in the password field. 

So I have to, either use the eye candy function to check what I have keyed-in is correct, or slow my typing way down. In order to achieve an accurate first keystroke, and not have to backspace 3 or 4 words back to correct the key button issues.

I have noticed that I nearly need to have my finger exactly 90 degrees or perfect perpendicular angle to my notebook. Which as you might guess, is not ergonomic for my wrists. So I almost have to type like I am the Huchback of Norte Dame just to type a few pages of texts.  This Dell Inspiron is nearly a full 3 years old when I bought it back in Dec 2017, meaning it is NOT brand new, but still has some service life left in yet.  Of course, the manufacturer's service warranty expired within the 2 year period.  I am still debating whether or not to invest in a memory upgrade from the OEM's 12 GB of SO-DIMM to the maximum of 32 GB of SO-DIMM 2400 Mhz. But since it will only be slightly over $100 dollars to buy the hardware to upgrade it is most likely worth the investment and maybe add an extra 2 years of life, before I need to seriously consider buying a new notebook! 

No Events found!