Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2018 00:00

Inspiron 7577 No USB boot otpion

Hello Communitiy!

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 - 7577 laptop, with a pre installed Ubuntu . 
I'd like to install Windows 10 via USB (since there's no built-in optical drive), but in BIOS menu there' no such option as boot from USB.

I have a flash drive with windows 10 made with "Rufus" (NTFS system), plugged it in properly before turning the device on.

I have searched for a solution, tried a variety of them, none worked. (Found only similar problems, they were other laptops with other setup/BIOS menus). Entered the One-Time Boot menu and the BIOS menu (F2 and F12) many times, trying to add USB as a boot toption, couldn't change anything.

How and where can I add that boot option? 

Also, if there are other ways installing Windows 10 on my laptop, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Vasilis 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 11th, 2018 03:00

You don't need to change the boot sequence. 

Use the Microsoft media creation tool to prepare the USB drive - NOT any third party utilities.  Then:

Simply press F12 a few times with the USB drive connected and choose the USB drive from the boot menu that appears.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 11th, 2018 08:00

1. UEFI booting doesn't work like BIOS booting, and therefore for technical reasons that aren't worth getting into just to answer this question, you won't find USB devices listed in the BIOS setup options.  The F12 one-time boot menu is indeed the way to go.  If you ever wanted to make a USB device a permanent boot option in your system, there are ways to do that.

2. UEFI does not support booting directly from an NTFS partition. As ejn63 suggested, either use Microsoft's tool to make your Win10 media, or if you want to use Rufus (which I really like), then make sure you choose one of the options intended for UEFI systems at the top (NOT the "UEFI or BIOS systems" option), and then keep the file system selection at FAT32.  Technically Rufus specifically does support creating UEFI-bootable media using NTFS if you choose a UEFI option and NTFS, but it achieves this by creating a small partition at the end of the flash drive that contains a UEFI FAT32 driver.  If you boot from that partition, it loads the driver and then boots whatever is on the NTFS partition.  However, this requires you to disable Secure Boot.  That option is useful if you simply MUST boot from an NTFS volume, but if you're just trying to create standard Windows 10 boot media, FAT32 will make your life much easier.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2018 23:00

Dear ejn63 and jphughan,

Thank you guys for the quick and useful responses!

Both of the solutions works, however I chose the simplest one, ejn63's,
and created a bootable pendrive with the use of Microsoft's media creation tool.  The machine now recognises the USB drive and installing Win10 was quick and easy.
The only - minor - disadvantage with the MS tool is that it doesn't allow you to chose your own image from your machine, since it downloads an image (a multi-version one) from MS. I wanted to install my own copy of windows 10 Enterprise.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the version I finally installed. 

Thank you again very much.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 15th, 2018 06:00

The Enterprise editions of Windows have only ever been offered through channels available to people who have obtained licenses for it, such as the Volume Licensing Service Center and MSDN. Basically, if you have a legitimate Enterprise key and a legitimate claim to use it (as opposed to just having a key from a former employer, for example), then you would also have access to the portal where Enterprise would be available to download. However, those portals only give you an ISO, so you’d have to do a bit more work to get a bootable flash drive.
No Events found!