Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

4 Posts

February 12th, 2019 11:00

Inspiron 7577, add SSD

I searched for information for a long time, but did not find information about the motherboard. I know I can install NVMe PCIe 2 in my laptop. On the website found information that it is possible to start this option SSD. But it's a pretty big amount for me.

Is it possible to install an SSD with SATA form factor 2280 on this laptop with the interface for the NVMe PCIe 2? Will it work? (For example crucial mx500 ....TB 3D Nand M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD)

P.s. sata is cheaper and I like the speed

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 12th, 2019 12:00

Per the specs for your system, yes you can. The specs say up to 256 GB but Crucial sells the drive you are looking at (which is 1 TB) and guarantees it compatible. The 256 GB Dell spec only means the system was never tested with any drive larger.

Table 1. Storage specifications.

Interface
  • SATA 6 Gbps
  • PCIe/NVMe
Hard drive One 2.5-inch drive (SATA)
Solid-state drive (SSD) One M.2 drive (SATA or PCIe/NVMe)
Capacity  
  Hard drive Up to 2 TB
  SSD
  • SATA: Up to 256 GB
  • PCIe/NVMe: Up to 512 GB

February 12th, 2019 15:00

Not tested, but does not mean that you can not?
Crucial lying, they offer SSD with PSIE x4? I also watched Kingston, they also offer 960 GB for this model, but only PSIE x2, despite the fact that they have a PSIE x4. Do you think that the information from these manufacturers is false?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 12th, 2019 17:00

No, not tested simply means they never installed one and tried it out. Dell has many systems that they have only tested certain hardware on. It only means they never decided to try it out. As I said Crucial guarantees 100% compatibility. And they have no reason to lie inasmuch as the hardware is returnable if it does not work. Also remember that an SSD which is PCIe x4 is also backward compatible to PCIe X2. So Crucial sells an M.2 drive that is compatible with X2 rather than carry 2 SSD drives (a X2 and a X4). Not false, just a matter of semantics.

https://www.windowscentral.com/upgrades-dell-inspiron-gaming

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-15-7577-SSD-question/td-p/6154513

February 13th, 2019 06:00

Tell me, please, I sort of understood, but I want to clarify.
If I install 970 EVO it will work "half strength", because is there a PCI-E x4? Is my PCI-E x2 motherboard designed?

P.S. In my country, the problem with the return, if it does not fit the hardware, then they spat on the consumer (Russia)

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 13th, 2019 10:00

I now understand from your clarification. Per the previous link, ejn63 stated that it will run in GT2 and will max out at 1.8 GB/s which is still considerable faster than SATA. However I have provided another link which gives a little more in depth information that should help.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-15-7577-and-Samsung-960-Evo-NvMe-SSD/td-p/5839329

No Events found!