Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2018 03:00

Inspiron 7586 - Sata HDD cable and HDD space issue

Good day all,

Recently purchased a dell inspiron 7586 for the prime purpose of having two hard drives. 

I like the design, but upon opening, the second sata hard drive cannot physically fit because it has the 56wh battery. 

With the 42wh battery, the HDD can fit. 

I have found a solution to this by using a solid state drive which is small enough to fit (by opening the SSD and modifying the case). 

The second issue is the main one, the recommended cable for this laptop is NP843 which is too short. 

I have connected and tested the HDD with shorter cable to confirm it work and shows up with no issues.

Could anyone advise where I can get a long HDD assembly cable for this laptop?

See below pictures. 

Thank you. 

Regards,

Shane

IMG_2205.jpgIMG_2198.jpgIMG_2201.JPG

January 25th, 2019 12:00

Hi All,

The Solution:

1. Dell NP843 HDD assembly cable

2. Flexible Flat Cable FFC FPC Extension Board 0.5 mm Pitch 12 Pin PCB

3. FPC FFC Flexible Flat Cable 12 PIN 0.5 mm pitch Same Sides Length 250 mm Type A (I used 250mm but 100mm should safely work)

4. SSD HD custom cut to fit to screw down as shown 

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Hope this helps others. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Shane

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 30th, 2018 04:00

A number of cable types on the following site. Not sure one of them will work but worth a look.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-dell-inspiron-hdd-cable.html

8 Posts

December 31st, 2018 15:00

Hello!

This is to the original poster.

I have exactly the same system and same needs as you do. I ordered the smaller battery, but I like even better then way you simply took the case off your 2.5 SSD and am considering doing the same so that I don't have to sacrifice battery life of a more robust battery for extra storage capacity.

Did you ever find the solution for a longer cable for that SATA connector?

Thanks so much and kind regards,

Barbara

December 31st, 2018 20:00

Hi Barbara,

Did not get any cable long enough as yet. 

Once I can find one, I will order and try it. 

If I can find the connector, I can possibly build the cable. 

Will update you if I get it to work.

Regards,

Shane

8 Posts

January 1st, 2019 16:00

Hi again, Shane!

I went to Micro Center and they say they don't carry any laptop SATA cables at all. 
I'm looking at this one at Amazon, which looks much longer than the one you have in your pictures, but seems to have the same connectors. I don't have the Dell ordered one yet, so I can't compare to anything but your pictures. Does this look like it would work to you?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8MV98B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A6X5NXAI6LSI4&psc=1

I think I may go ahead and order it, if you say it looks like your cable only longer, since it isn't very costly.
I'll let you know if I do and if it works for me. 

Kind regards,
Barbara

8 Posts

January 1st, 2019 17:00

Update: Once I figured out that all of the non-Dell options for ordering that longer cable involve it shipping from China and taking nearly a month or more to arrive, I went to Dell's accessories and parts store and simply told them in the chat that I needed to order the 2.5 HDD SATA cable for an Inspiron 15 5567. Part Number:  0P4TVW P4TVW BAL20 NBX0001YV00
That is the cable that from all the pictures I have found, looks exactly like the one recommended for our model, but appears to be twice as long. At the Dell Parts store it is called this: Assembly,Cable,HDD,GAMORA 15 

The price was only 9.99, plus .60 cents tax and free shipping and it will arrive on or before Jan. 4. I will let you know if it works. The store is: 
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/dellitems.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

8 Posts

January 25th, 2019 17:00

Hi Shane!

This is a brilliant solution to our issue.

I'm very frustrated and upset that Dell Tech Support gave me misinformation when I reached out to them *before* purchasing this laptop, to ensure that I would be able to add the second storage in the form of a 2.5 HDD or SSD added internally. They assured me that there was a place for that drive to be installed on this laptop, when in fact, it cannot be, since this particular laptop has a 4K display, which requires the beefier, 4-cell battery to power it, and the 4th cell of the 4-cell battery overlaps the space meant to be for a 2.5 HDD. Really slipshod designing! As you know, the HDD compartment is there, but only half of it is available once the 4-cell battery is added. 

If I can't get help from Dell with the problem, I am going to have to decide whether to return the laptop for refund and shop elsewhere for a laptop that has what I need, or do a mod on my 2.5 SATA SSD like you've done. 

Frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by the prospect of hacking up a $300.00 2TB SSD. I wish you were my next door neighbor and could help me with the project.  :)

Thank you for sharing your solution!
Kind regards, Barbara

8 Posts

January 30th, 2019 18:00

I want to clarify, because Shane and I began communicating via private message and email about this issue, that when I tried replacing the longer, 4-cell battery, with the 3-cell battery Dell told me was compatible with this laptop, that solution did not work. The 3-cell battery was not strong enough to power this specific model that has the 4K display. Apparently, Dell builds some laptops with this chassis w/ 4K displays and some without. The ones that have 4K displays are the ones that get the 4-cell battery, which half covers the HDD compartment. The non-4K displays only get a 3-cell battery, and thus have a battery that does not cover the HDD compartment at all.

I'm still going back and forth with Dell about this. 

If you see this thread and you are considering buying this model of laptop, be informed that if you need to be able to add a drive to the 2.5 drive compartment, you will not be able to do so.

No Events found!