Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 7591 Finger print reader only ever worked 3 times. Is this normal?

I just bought the Inspiron 7591 laptop Aug 2020 (not the 2 in 1). Setup the finger print reader on the power button with 3 different fingers. So far, it has only ever worked 3 times. Always seems to ask for another finger and then says I need to enter my pin. I have updated the bios and drivers using Dell Support Assist, but it makes no difference. 

Just wondered if this is normal for this laptop, or do I have a fault?  Not sure why it worked the 3 times it did. I did not do anything differently.  I suppose it shows it can work, it just is very unreliable.

5 Posts

September 9th, 2020 01:00

Been doing a bit more research. I have found that if I lock the laptop and blank the screen (by pressing the power button briefly) and then press the power button to bring the screen on again, the fingerprint reader works fine in unlocking the device. However, it does not work if I am booting up from power off. Then it just does not recognise any finger that has been setup and ends up asking for my pin number.

Yesterday I found a new bios update showed up on Dell SupportAssist - BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.7.0, 30/06/2020. Not sure why it only showed now. I had previously updated the bios. After installing this I deleted the stored fingerprints and scanned 3 different fingers. The reader now works more often than it does not, even after bootup.

OK it is working most of the time now. I saw another bios update on Dell Support Assist and after installing it is working far better (not every time, but more often than not). I also rescanned my fingerprints, so not sure what exactly caused it to start working again, but just happy it is.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 8th, 2020 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 9th, 2020 01:00

What is the BIOS version you have?^PC

5 Posts

September 9th, 2020 02:00

It is Version 1.7.0, 1.7.0  released 03/06/2020

No Events found!