Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 20:00

Inspiron 7610 touchpad problems with random taps and swipes

I just got my new notebook and update to the latest Windows fix, bios and drivers. However, I encountered touchpad problems with random taps and swipes, inaccurate finger tracking, etc just like this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/p4kesm/anyone_experiencing_touchpad_problems_on_his/

Is there anyone having the same issue here ? Any idea how to fix it ?

I don't want to return my notebook as it is still under 14 days of return.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 3rd, 2021 05:00

I have the Inspiron 15, it’s been great the last month and a half that I have had it, but just the past couple days also have been having weird trackpad issues; mostly issues with scrolling (the trackpad reads that I have three fingers on it and promts all the windows on my desktop to disappear). I’m hoping it’s just a software issue

16 Posts

September 19th, 2021 16:00

I have been using this laptop for over a month now and I have no such problems. I hope there won't be any in the future.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2021 19:00

The service rep sent me two links (update bios and driver).  The bios update made the situation immediately better.  I thought it was fixed, but after couple days the problems came back, but less severe.  Right now it's sorta usable, though sometimes (usually after not using a few mins), first contact won't move the mouse.  It's like you have to swirl it around to get the driver to "sync" with mouse position again.  I'm just gonna try to live with it, or start using USB mouse.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2021 07:00

Dell Support keep asking me to uninstall and reinstall Windows. The problem is not solved.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2021 13:00

I am also facing same problem. did you find solution ?

21 Posts

October 17th, 2021 20:00

There are many people reporting this same issue with the Inspiron 16 Plus 7610 (see Reddit, Twitter, and these forums).

Mine started acting up the day after the return period expired. No one has identified a solution yet.

Tech support keeps asking cryptic questions. They asked me to take pictures of the touchpad. Some users report warped trackpads out of the box.

There are numerous BIOS issues with these models--more so than usual for a new model. So far, I've tried:

1- Disabling Intel Command Center power saving settings without effect
2- Disabling all three-finger and four-finger gestures (this helps with erratic behavior but not with freezes and jitters and non-responsiveness)
3- Updated BIOS. Checked all drivers. Everything is up-to-date. Nothing changed.

It seems to be getting worse just over a month in.

This model had so much promise. See this Reddit thread for more info:
Anyone experiencing touchpad problems on his Inspiron 16 Plus 7610? (random taps and swipes, inaccurate finger tracking, etc...) : Dell (reddit.com)

21 Posts

October 17th, 2021 20:00

Here is a depressing but informative post from a Reddit user with an Inspiron 16 7610 suffering from the issue.

They had the issue in both Linux ad Windows. They took system logs with Xorg and posted them. The logs show the touchpad is constantly failing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/q2upa8/dell_inspiron_16_plus_7610_has_linux_found_a_new/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

It's still unclear if this is a software issue or hardware issue. I can't recommend this laptop to anyone as it appears Dell doesn't know what the cause of the problem is. The solution of replacing the unit or the trackpad seems to only work some of the time. I have no confidence that Dell understands the problem or the solution. It seems like they're just swapping out parts in the hope that something sticks.

Dell really needs to prioritize this. It's affecting a lot of machines.

1 Message

December 11th, 2021 17:00

Having the same issue, tried resetting touch pad, turning computer off and back on, it works for a little while and then it's back to acting like it's inhabited by demons.  Really frustrated as this is my first experience with Dell.  Right now I wanna chuck this thing straight out the nearest window.

May 11th, 2022 04:00

On my Dell XPS 9510 (BIOS 1.9.0, Elantech touchpad firmware "0b"), I was seeing around hourly touchpad lag and acceleration loss in Linux and Windows 11 also.

Updating the touchpad firmware to "0c" (zip password 1234) has addressed the issues I find: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

June 22nd, 2022 16:00

Confirmed! My solder-job has kept my touchpad glitch-free for 2.5 months now, though I recommend the tape mentioned in your post. Now supposedly they have an updated version that they can replace the original touchpad with that offers better grounding, so you should try to go through Dell Support first.

No Events found!