Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

June 13th, 2022 22:00

Inspiron 7786 - Wireless card AC9560 is not recognized by OS (but is seen by BIOS)

My wireless card stopped working.

1) In BIOS, both Wifi and Bluetooth are connected. Everything else there appears to be "default" - the switches for both are on, and the functions are enabled which makes logical sense.

2) All needed drivers are present in /lib/firmware. (When the card stopped working, I reinstalled the entire OS (Fedora), then I also removed and reinstalled the 'firmware-linux' package. I tried to use the driver version from the manufacturer's site as well.) 

3) I tried to detect the card with Pop OS (live USB) and the iwctl tool on Arch installer. None of this worked either, so it's clearly not an OS problem...

4) Some people had luck removing the card, and then inserting it back. So I pulled out the AC power jack, removed the back cover (the laptop is not on warranty), disconnected the battery, then pushed and held the power button for a few seconds, pulled out the card and reinserted it. All to to avail.

Is there anything else that can be tried (other than installing a new card, or using a USB dongle)?  I'll likely try to a new card later, if nothing works (I'm not in a hurry).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 6th, 2022 16:00

Got a new card from Amazon, now everything is working. This is the second time I'm having this issue - had it once when the laptop was on warranty, so Dell replaced it (probably, they never tell what they do). Why does the card keep breaking? Will this continue to happen every 2-3 years? This is really annoying. But, thanks to Dell, I now know how to change cards, lol.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 14th, 2022 08:00

As the Fedora Linux people.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 2nd, 2022 12:00

Whatever I found in the Linux community didn't help (I had tried those things already).

So, I installed Windows 10, then 11 (because I have a lot of time ). On both updating the drivers from Dell Assist, nothing helped. In the Device Manager, the Wifi is now not seen at all (could see it on Window 10, and tried to delete the device, driver, etc.), and Bluetooth shows up with the triangle badge. is this a hardware problem?

I ran diagnostics (please see the fails below). Does this mean that the network card AC 9650 is not working, or is it rather the PCIe "slot" on the motherboard? (Note: I do have an nvme disk (Optane) in the other slot, and it's working without problems.)

Any help in trying to understand these (cryptic ) messages is appreciated, thanks!

========================================

PCI Status - Fail

- PCI Status Tests - D0702

- PCI - Fail

- Network Card - Fail

- SM Bus Controller - Fail

- USB Status - Fail

- USB Status Tests - D0605

- Bluetooth - Fail

- USB Status Tests - D0605

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 2nd, 2022 12:00

If this helps: I'm currently tethering Wifi internet, using my phone through the USB-C, as the network card.

If it's clear, from these errors, that it's a hardware problem - does it mean that I have a defective "Network Card" (only), and/or is anything else broken? Tried finding these errors online, but they don't seem to be easily available. There's no further description in Dell Assist either...

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 2nd, 2022 14:00

Pulled out the network adapter card AC 9650, started Windows, and ran the same diagnostics. Now seeing the below. Will plugging in a new adapter card fix the Wifi/BT issue, or is the problem more serious than that?

- PCI Status - Fail

- PCI - Fail

- SM Bus Controller - Fail

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 5th, 2022 14:00

Any insight on what these "fails" mean? Thanks!

2 Posts

November 17th, 2023 12:35

Me tiro ese mismo error cuando se instaló una actualizacion de la tarjeta gráfica NVIDIA.

No Events found!