Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579, CPU hits 100% randomly

This started a couple days ago while I was watching youtube. The audio started sounding odd like just before it blue screens and shuts down, that awful noise of the audio repeating itself about a hundred times a second? After half a second it went away and I decided to look around for any clues to what had happened. I started by seeing if maybe I was updating, or McAfee was doing a scan something else that might have caused a heavy load. Nothing. It happened again not 15 minutes later so I immediately pulled up Task Manager and popped over to the performance tab and the CPU was completely maxed out. Another worth mention item is my Memory usage is seemingly stuck at 50% (out of 7.9GB) and is still sitting there at this moment with only this page (using Chrome), Task Manager, SupportAssist, and Resource Monitor open. Every day it seems to get more random with it's happening. Every time I pull open TM as fast as I can and sort by CPU to try and find the culprit. The only thing that is constantly at the top of the list each time is McAfee Management Service Host. Today I have tried to End Task on that item and quite frankly it won't even close it. It generally can be reproduced about 50-80% of the time when I open anything dealing with my system such as TM, SupportAssist, McAfee, etc. There are numerous times where I will just be playing a game and the games FPS count tanks extremely hard then within a couple seconds its fine again. My main concern is I'm not anywhere near home (about 4,000 miles away) so I currently have no way to call the number in SupportAssist to have someone proxy my PC to find the issue, and I really don't want to wipe the whole PC to factory settings if it's not an assured fix. I have seen other people having this issue, and they "fixed" it by upgrading from Win7 to Win10. I don't have that option as I'm already running Win10. Can anyone help me either fix this issue or at the least track down what is causing the random loads?

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

April 30th, 2019 07:00

You can try to update it, then restart and retest.

To uninstall SmartByte =
* Click the start button
* Enter app
* Click Apps & Features
* Check the Apps & Features for SmartByte. If seen, uninstall both SmartByte application and SmartByte driver
* Restart the PC when done and retest

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

April 30th, 2019 06:00

* For my Dell notes, click my name and private message me the Inspiron G3 15-3579 service tag number

* How long had you been using this Inspiron G3 15-3579 prior to the issue appearing?

* See number 8 below =
SmartByte Application may Slow Network Performance and Audio Issues with Inspiron Systems

April 30th, 2019 07:00

I have been using it for about 4 months prior to this issue appearing. I looked at step 8 in the link you gave me. When I searched for SmartByte, it does appear, but there is no slider to turn it on or off. Opening it prompts me to update the application though. Should I do this?

April 30th, 2019 08:00

I updated SmartByte and it seems to have made it stop. For now I'm satisfied with saying this fixed the problem. If it comes back I will uninstall SmartByte, and if that still doesn't work I will private message you. Thank you again for the help!

No Events found!