Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2019 13:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579 battery charging switches on and off during games

Hello,

My new laptop works fine, but once I start a game, such as Rome 2: Total war, the battery charging symbol on the top keeps switching between not charging and charging every other second, causing lag and battery depletion, rendering the supposedly gaming laptop completely useless for gaming.

I updated all my drivers, tried different compatibilities and different battery settings, but nothing worked. The only time this problem appeared to be fixed was when my laptop went to hibernation due to low battery. After this, the game proceeded smoothly and the laptop was charging. However, the next time I started the game, the issue was there again.

Thank you in advance for helping me deal with this problem.

1 Message

October 19th, 2019 09:00

There's nothing wrong with your laptop.  This is a feature on some Dell models known as Hybrid Power.  Once the battery hits 10% the feature turns off.  It's meant to optimize power draw under heavy sustained loads.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln305931/gaming-laptop-battery-drains-when-running-heavy-loading-applications-with-adapter-connected?lang=en

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/g-series-15-5587-laptop/g5-5587-setupandspecs/hybrid-power?guid=guid-ae2856f3-d9e0-46cd-a9ae-9db31e3d09bd&lang=en-us

November 10th, 2019 12:00

I'm starting to think it might be that I received the wrong adapter with my laptop - the user manual only specifies the adapter as 130W for the 1050 card and 180W for the 1060 card, but I've got the 1050ti and I received the 130W adapter. Could this be the issue? Don't really want to spend £55 on a new adapter when there's a chance it's not going to fix it (and I just bought an extra 130W one for traveling too).  The replacement adapter arrived this morning and I can confirm it has solved the problem.

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2019 06:00

Kviki,

Click the link below for troubleshooting battery issues.

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues

Click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your registered name,email address and phone number.

10 Posts

May 15th, 2019 00:00

Did you fix your problem? I have exactly the same problem as you!

3 Posts

July 5th, 2019 05:00

i have the same problem too, just during video games..

1 Message

August 8th, 2019 02:00

Hi, I am wondering if there is already a solution to this. I am having the same issue. Same model, Inspiron G3 15-3579.

41 Posts

August 8th, 2019 05:00

Same problem on the Inspirion 15 7579. Wonder if anyone has found a solution. Always thought that the problem was isolated to my specific device but now it seems that it is not.

13 Posts

August 31st, 2019 00:00

Any solution? I have the same problem with a Dell G3, just 6 months old 

2 Posts

October 7th, 2019 19:00

I'm experiencing the same issue and it seems like dell don't give zero fs about it this is a known issue with this model, theres no fix and I'm starting to think there won't be one ever. What a shame this is the last Dell product I ever buy.

November 10th, 2019 12:00

Is there a way to turn hybrid power off? It seems to render my gaming laptop as entirely useless when actually gaming. Every time it switches modes it lags the game out - it also discharges while playing games, even when plugged in. 

No Events found!