Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2019 02:00

Inspiron G7 17-7790, how Did XTU get installed?

I have realised that I never actually downloaded/installed XTU. How did it get on my laptop ? How Do I remove it. I have no Utility Interface and its not listed in Programmes and Features in Control Panel. I have found the folder it is in. I would like to remove all files in a clean un-install. Is there a good, trusted un-installer App ? Will I have to just delete whatever I can find ? (To dodgy for me). I have a odd File ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK that is causing a few problems. I have done some research and its related to Intel Driver Update utility. Some say its malware others don't. It is definitely not good and its date is March 2017. I have scanned it with 3 malware apps and nothing. I'm getting mad now. Also I have a Windows Driver update package- STMicroelectronics (STTub30) USB (04/03/17) version 3.0.6.0. I can't workout why I even have this my laptop is not old. I have had it for 2months as new. Released in Australia only late in January. Any help would be overwhelming and very welcome. I will get 3 or 4 screen shots of what things look like if that will help.

32 Posts

June 28th, 2019 10:00

Alienware OC controls is using intel XTU to control cpu overclocking. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 28th, 2019 10:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @JohnyDoe 

This is just a stab in the dark but maybe @DELL-Jesse L  can elaborate on this.

Dell Alienware OC Controls and HP Omen Command Center are both Microsoft Apps.

Alienware OC Controls:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/alienware-oc-controls/9nbpdgwx4txc?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

OMEN Command Center:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/omen-command-center/9nqdw009t0t5?activetab=pivot:relateditemtab

HP's OCC uses (Intel® XTU) as the bases for CPU overclocking !!!

OCC.PNG

Could AOCC be using (Intel® XTU) as the bases for overclocking also???

Just a thought???

Best regards,

U2

12 Posts

June 28th, 2019 20:00

Thanks everyone, XTU is part of Alienware OCC, or that's what the final answer is leading to. @mino1337  thinks this is the case. I am going to uninstall All Alienware Components, see if XTU is still installed. Will removing OCC cause more issues ? @U2CAMEB4ME I will get the new copy from Windows Store like you have mentioned. If XTU is still there I will Delete it as well. Then re-install Alienware OCC, OC Controls, FX 02 and Sound Center. If XTU comes back that will confirm its supposed to be on my computer. At present my CPU is running at 4.1GHz Idle. I don't think it should be unless I am Gamming. I have ani7-8750H CPU@2.2. Would that be right ? 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 29th, 2019 01:00

@JohnyDoe 

I have used OCC many times.

When I seen the "Screen Shots" at the APP store for AOCC they looked just like the ones I used for OCC.

That's when I new that OCC was using (Intel® XTU) as the bases for overclocking.

@JohnyDoe wrote:

At present my CPU is running at 4.1GHz Idle. I don't think it should be unless I am Gamming. I have ani7-8750H CPU@2.2. Would that be right ? 

That is a little strange for it to be running at max "Turbo" speed at idle???

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134906/intel-core-i7-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Processor Base Frequency: 2.20 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency: 4.10 GHz

@JohnyDoe wrote:

Will removing OCC cause more issues ? 

You should be fine removing OCC as that is a "Prerequisite" for installing a newer version.

After removing OCC check your CPU speed a few times to see if it has changed the idle speed???

Then install the OCC from the APP store.

Let us know how things turn out.

Regards,

U2

Note: HP expert for 8 years just transitioning over to Dell.

Very disappointed to see that  @DELL-Jesse L  did not know about (Intel® XTU)

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2019 05:00

JohnyDoe,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with XTU installed. Did you contact your ISP as Saltgrass mentioned? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 25th, 2019 05:00

Well, I have no idea what XTU is.  If you are from Australia, possibly your local ISP is placing software on your system.  Maybe someone who is local to your area would have some reference for what you are seeing.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

June 26th, 2019 18:00

@DELL-Jesse L  Doesn't XTU stand for Intel's "Extreme Tuning Unit"? Not sure, if @JohnyDoe 's ISP has anything to do with it... I don't want to support conspiracy theories (lol), but my hunch is that it got to his computer through an automated software, like Dell SupportAssist or Intel Driver and Support Assistant. Two pieces that may deserve immediate removal. 

12 Posts

June 27th, 2019 17:00

I think you are on the money unBIOSed, it has jump on board another install. I know it is part of Intel's Xtreme Tunning utility. I use Alienware command center, and XTU is screwing with it. My XTU is running at 4.1 with almost nothing running. I am going mad trying to sort it out. XTU is not listed in programmes and features, there is no interface at all. How do I delete it ?    

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

June 27th, 2019 23:00

Maybe you can download "Revo Uninstaller" through Google. If it's not listed in the tool, it means the program is not registered and you may delete the folder directly or check if there is any uninstaller in the XTU folder.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2019 08:00

It looks to me like something you would have to install.  If you can find the install utility for it, that may also uninstall.

There is an Alienware Over Clock download for that system.  Since it seems to be tied in to Processor performance, perhaps that is what you need to look for.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

June 28th, 2019 08:00

@JohnyDoe  Do you know, if it has an autorun entry? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns I would start autoruns.exe and try to find XTU and its elements. 

12 Posts

January 17th, 2020 23:00

I think I was the original post Re: XTU. It is part of Alienware Control Suite. XTU are the drivers in (Listed in Device manager) I think Intel Produced them and OC controls has a deal with them. Anyhow they are installed by Alienware Command Center when an update is offered. It can be a tricky install.  I found doing a complete Clean Install of Alien C Suite first Is the best. Also I found that the over clocking switchers/control interface were locked to a fixed position, running my processor (Intel I7 - 8th Gen @2.2 - 4.5ghz) when the system is idle at 4.1ghz continually. Or, is this what does ? I stopped using the OC Controls, deleting the drivers altogether. All my games Ran,  Played, Looked And responded the same And Turbo Boast appeared to do a very good job at keeping my processor humming @3.9 or higher. 

12 Posts

January 18th, 2020 00:00

Late reply. From what I now know almost mainstream brands like Alienware OC controls and AOCC are using (Intel® XTU) XTU as the bases for overclocking. It sort of, but if it works it works. Is their an alternative that will do a better job if so tell me all of them.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 19th, 2020 14:00

@JohnyDoe 

Do you have the new " G " key option on your system???

Dell G5 5590, G7 7590, 7790 enables G-key feature with latest BIOS, Alienware Command Center and Alienware OC Controls:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln317311/dell-g5-5590-g7-7590-7790-enables-g-key-feature-with-latest-bios-alienware-command-center-and-alienware-oc-controls?lang=en

Regards,

U2

No Events found!