Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

5 Posts

November 6th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron N7110, USB port issue

I have a older 2012 Inspiron N7110 laptop with a Gen 4 i7 CPU. The motherboard and other boards have all been replaced in the first few months of it's existence. It has a eSATA/USB combo port on the left and two USB 3 and one USB 2 ports. The right the two USB 3 ports are acting strange. When I plug a USB 3 device into them, Windows sees them for just a few seconds then it disappears! The USB 2 ports work with anything I plug into them! The Renasais USB 3 driver is installed so I'm not sure what hardware may be failing? Another issue is Windows 7 now sees my SSD as a regular hard drive. When I open up the windows defrag it wants to defrag the drive instead of trimming it. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on? I was using it for media center to record Live TV while it still works (until Microsoft shuts media center down completely)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 7th, 2019 07:00

Some things to consider--Windows 7 is at the "end of life" and will be no longer supported after Jan 14, 2020 and will not receive any security updates. Media Center is also not supported. Your old model does not have any windows 10 drivers. Time to buy a new computer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020/103f68c5-c977-42b6-9f9f-3d1ea4c652d9 

Also--you must use Dell Drivers since those are customized for your model. Installing a usb 3 driver does not update the usb ports on the computer. Install the original driver. Most if not all usb hardware is backwards compatible.

No Events found!