Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2019 07:00

Is Dell Inspiron 7000 Gaming (Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567) compatible with 970 Evo Plus m.2 NVMe PCIe?

I have gained quite a bit of knowledge according to this thread, https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Questions-about-Inspiron-15-7000-Gaming-s-motherboard/m-p/6194678#M37451, but one thing that is still concerning me. Is Samsung 970 Evo Plus compatible with my gaming laptop's motherboard. I have found many threads that Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming is not compatible with 960 Evo, but not 970 Evo plus, so I'm just doing this for clarification since I don't want to empty my pocket for nothing. The threads that I found are at least 3 years ago, which is not that updated regarding the dire information.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 14th, 2019 09:00

I can't guarantee the 970 will work with the system but I can tell you the info about the 960 EVO not being compatible, is not correct. I am running the 960 EVO and it is working fine.

There have been situations where having a second 2.5 inch drive did complicate the situation, so I always suggest disconnecting the other drive while doing an OS install to the new M.2 drive.  If you clone the new install, probably not a good idea to run the new and old drive at the same time.

If you want to discuss how to configure and install on the new drive, let us know.

4 Posts

April 15th, 2019 23:00

It would be greatly appreciated if you would guide me through setting up an m.2 NVMe PCIe driver. This youtube video clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_vtZLDp18I, about how to install an m.2 driver looks easy, but I just want to make sure that it is the correct way of how you do it. Most people installed something called RAID, but I'm not sure of the actual procedures.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 16th, 2019 07:00

If you want to clean install or re-image the drive using the NVMe controller, all you need to do is set the SATA controller to AHCI. It will the use the NVMe controller and you can install normally.

If you have a secondary drive that is currently bootable, it will experience a problem when the controller is changed because it is going from a RAID controller to a AHCI controller.

I will watch the video and if I see anything that looks strange, I will post back.

Edit:  I watched the video but could not see anything since the ad banner covered the screen....

No Events found!