Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

April 25th, 2020 23:00

Is Dell Inspiron worth it?

I am getting a good deal on Dell Inspiron 15 with following specs

Processor - Intel i5/i7 8th Gen

RAM - 8GB (option to upgrade it to 16GB)

Screen - FHD

NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory

128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Price ~~$970 (i5) || $1.1K (i7) inclusive of tax.

I was more inclined towards Lenovo ThinkPad but couldn't find good deal with above specs.

Would you recommend this for someone whose main purpose to do programming and bit of GoPro video editing?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 26th, 2020 04:00

Think of the Inspiron as a Hyundai Elantra.  It's feature-rich but built to a price.

The Thinkpad (and competing Latitudes from Dell) are more akin to a Lexus ES350 - feature rich and built to a much higher standard.

If you want a business-grade system built for work and a 3-5 year lifespan, with support options to match - get a Thinkpad or Latitude.

If you want an inexpensive system you'll replace every couple of years, without much in the way of support, buy the Inspiron.

39 Posts

April 26th, 2020 04:00

Let me put it this way. I paid $450 for a Dell 15 7580 model with 8th gen i5 8gb’s of Ram a 256gb NVME drive and an mx250 graphics card, so I upgraded the Ram to 16gb and installed another 512GB SSD drive in the second hard drive bay, both for just over an extra $100. The 15 7000 range is more premium than the rest of the inspiron range (3000 or 5000 models) with the chassis on the 7000 being built in the  lighter and stronger Aluminum and the ethernet port, the full giga speeds, unlike the rest of the range with 10/100. I don’t even think you can get an ethernet port with the newest model. Only a USB attached dongle.

I think you can do much better on the price here. For that price, you should have the latest inspiron with a 9th or 10th gen processor and a 1050 Graphics card bare minimum. You could probably squeeze 16gb’s of ram as well, but I’d stay away from anything with a hard drive in it, even if it provides a larger storage option. Mechanical drives add weight and are too slow. I wouldn’t go for anything less than an ssd drive in the second compartment. 

No Events found!