Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

7 Posts

August 11th, 2018 04:00

Laptop Throttling

I have recently bought a  dell inspiron 5575 with a ryzen 5 2500u in it and noticed that the game performance was not as expected so i did some digging on my machine and i have noticed that the computer is throttling back the gpu clocks too hard in my opinion, the cooling solution is not brilliant on this machine but my gpu will throttle and sit at about 400mhz to try and maintain a temp of 60 degrees so my games drop frames almost instantly can you guys plz tune this so we can get better performance because 400mhz out of 1100mhz is not acceptable while gaming 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 11th, 2018 04:00

It is, if you want longevity out of the system - and though this is termed a "gaming" system, it's decidedly entry level.  Just as "performance" cars span the range from a Mazda Miata to a Lamborghini Aventador -- you just have the Miata version of performance (and just like the car world, you don't get Aventador performance for the price of a Miata).

247 Posts

August 11th, 2018 07:00

Most of these notebooks like yours are for light duty gaming at lower settings for more recent 3D games. Its very common to see them throttle back after awhile because the cooling system is not capable of keeping chips cool under those conditions. Only true gaming notebooks such as Alienware models have more robust cooling and better performance for 3D gaming. Other then trying a external cooling pad, or other means of increasing airflow, or reduce game settings to lower demand from hardware. You probably won't have much luck avoiding the throttling. 

August 11th, 2018 18:00

Thank your for responses,

I understand what your saying and im not expecting to play games at unbelievable frames but the issue i have is the processor that i have paid for is not being able to perform as expected so its like saying hey guys here is your big v8 engine but you cant rev the engine past 2000rpm though i just feel like the machine is being held back by a too agressive cooling profile i mean most gpus will be happy to run at 80ish degrees without any noticable degredation so why not set that as the thermal target and not the 60 degrees it appears to be at now

Cheers

1 Message

November 20th, 2018 06:00

If the laptop can't perform at its advertised specifications under normal circumstances, it is grounds for a recall. It doesn't matter if it is a gaming laptop or not. If the GPU is advertised to run at x speed but can't reach that speed because of poor design, this is effectively a defective product. I have this laptop and recently filed for return. 

20 Posts

November 21st, 2018 09:00

I get the same problem with my inspuron 7375, and worst the cooler is at high rpm all the time and the cpu can't hold high frequency like boost cause the processor is very hot

in contrast I have a Huawei matebook D Ryzen 5 2500u and it work wonderful!!! And perform much better than my dell Inspiron 7375 Ryzen 7 2700u

In ffxv benchmark 

Matebook D Ryzen 5 2500u gets 2300 points at ( full hd 1920 x 1080 - lite )

Dell inspInsp 7375 Ryzen 7 2700u gets 1800 points at ( hd 1280 x 720 - lite )

Dell please talk with huawei to learn how build a ryzen laptop

2 Posts

January 19th, 2019 14:00

I have the Ryzen 7 version and I use Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php to keep my fan at 100% all the time. This really helps. Look for how to use windows 10 task scheduler to run speed fan at startup. There is a video on u-tube. There are some other things like adding small heat sinks to the heat sink pipes, lapping the heat sink, and using high end heat sink paste all help as well. Making changes to the cooling system will void the warranty. The Ryzen 2700U and 2500U processor with Vega graphic is capable of much more but for some reason I assume profit/cost, battery time to charge, the manufactures such as HP, Dell, etc.. have elected not to provide ample BIOS setting and a good cooling system. I wonder if the number of intel systems on the shelf has anything to do with it. I have a Ryzen 7 Vega 10 system that I can play games on just fine. I installed faster ram CL14, a M.2 SSD 960 Pro, and use Speed Fan. Destiny 2 works fine just have to lower the graphic setting to medium setting. 

3 Posts

April 15th, 2019 02:00

I have the same laptop, I've searched the web for so long looking for a solution to this if you found a solution since you posted this complaint, pls tell me

20 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 07:00

Hi, Dell brazil replace my ryzen laptop for a intel laptop, cause in brazil dell doesn't available ryzen models... so! with intel processor I got the same problem CPU Throttle.... research on internet I found a software called ThrottleStop, I try with my new inspiron 7580 and it's work... if you want to try... And I have a software that I modify to work on inspiron 7375 to control fan speed... if you want to send me a message bye

10 Posts

November 28th, 2019 21:00

I am in two minds about this issue.  My last laptop died of heat death and so I got this laptop, I understand the frustrations about Dell overlimiting what this laptop can be capable but at the same time at least it will last longer.  Maybe they could make a compromise and allow for people to have the option of max performance mode with a warning for the end-user, then it would be upto the end user. 

I believe someone recently made and released a ryzen tool to allow max performance on this laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbPimCfR8M8

1 Message

January 15th, 2020 15:00

Take a look at this sorry excuse for a heatsink on the Inspiron 13 7375 (Ryzen 7 2700u). For comparison, it's the size of a AA battery! They even put a black shroud on the part that contacts the CPU, which raises it and makes thermal transfer worse. The fan doesn't even have an air intake in the case...

Guys, if you want to cool it better, hit f12 on boot and set the fan to be max at all times. Then boot into Windows and throttle the CPU maximum by 5-10% in power options.Y56XVa1.jfif

Y56XVc1.jfif

July 31st, 2020 05:00

@RickyXDs Hei i have dell 3585 ryzen 5 2500u and i have some problem. I want your software called ThrottleStop, your try with your new inspiron 7580 and it's work... if you want to try...
Espcially software that your modify to work on inspiron 7375 to control fan speed... 

No Events found!