Closed

J

2 Posts

March 28th, 2023 05:00

My wifi is not visible in the list.

Inspiron 5558

Inspiron 5558

Hi Team,

I'm using inspiron 5558 and there seems to be some issue with the wifi,for some reason my wifi connection is not visible in the list whereas I can see all the nearby wifi connections. I tried with my mobile hotspot and was able to connect with it. Not sure what is the issue with home wifi, is there a compatibility issue>?

I'm using nokia beacon2 router at my place.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 28th, 2023 06:00

If your router is currently set to transmit only on 5 GHz band, it's possible that your laptop's Wifi card is only 2.4 GHz. You would be able to see 2.4 GHz networks near you, but not your own router unless it also transmitted a 2.4 GHz network.

Another possibility is that your router is set not to transmit the network name, so you would not see it. Network name and network bands can be set in the router's administration screens, which you could access via Ethernet cable or via another device that does connect to the router's Wifi network.

On your laptop, open a CMD window and type (or copy and paste) the following command, and then press Enter:
netsh wlan show drivers

Look for a line that begins "Radio types supported". For example, on my computer that line shows as:

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac 802.11ax

Copy that line and paste the results here. It will tell us if your Wifi card supports 5 GHz band or just 2.4 GHz. 

Another way to tell is to find the brand and model name/number of your Wifi card (there are various ways, such as from Device Manager), then search for it on the Internet. You will be able to find if it supports 5 GHz band or just 2.4 GHz. 

If it's only 2.4 GHz, you can easily replace your Wifi card or add an external USB wireless device.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2023 21:00

The radio types supported shows : 802.11b/g/n/a/ac, so I guess 5ghz is supported.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

March 29th, 2023 01:00

When you cannot find the wireless icon, reboot the computer. When it still does not show, download and install the latest drivers.

No Events found!