Closed

N

104 Posts

July 22nd, 2022 18:00

New Inspiron 16 Plus overheating in sleep mode

Inspiron 16 Plus 7620

Inspiron 16 Plus 7620

Hi,

I just got my new laptop yesterday and I found out that if I leave my laptop in sleep mode for a long period of time, the keyboard area is becoming very hot and when I turn back on the laptop, the fans are just kicking in crazy.

I would like to let Dell know about this issue, so it can be fixed. Normally, in sleep mode, nothing should run, so I don't understand the heating problem.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

July 22nd, 2022 20:00

3 things I can tell you:

1 - Update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already, and also update your NVIDIA driver to the latest version from NVIDIA's site, not Dell's. I also had this problem, and for a long time I resorted to the 2nd piece of advice that I listed below. Recently I reinstalled Windows, and found that this problem was completely fixed! The only 2 things I can attribute that to was that I had been updating the BIOS and also the NVIDIA drivers. I do remember this problem being noted as a "known issue" in the RTX 3050 drivers about a year ago.

2 - If the above doesn't work, you need to enable S3 sleep by editing the registry. S0 is enabled by default by Microsoft in Windows 10 and 11. It just turns off the screen and throttles down the CPU to save power. S3 sleep is a deeper standby mode than S0 sleep, and will actually cut power to the GPU (which is what's running and heating up while your lid is closed). I'd close my laptop lid, and an hour later It would be extremely hot, fans spinning at 100%, and I'd see that the laptop had run some weird UEFI-level diagnostic. I actually wrote a post on reddit explaining how to re-enable S3 sleep in Windows 10 and 11, the link is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/rzv5l1/xps17_s0_modern_standby_kills_battery_in_9_hours/hry8ivr/?context=3

3 - If the above doesn't work, or you don't feel skilled enough to edit the Windows registry, you can alway set your power settings to hibernate when you close the lid instead of "sleep." It's less convenient, but will actually save you a little battery power.

I hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

July 22nd, 2022 23:00

You can press the power button for five seconds, (called a hard shutdown). Then reflash the BIOS–doing this will reset your machine. This technique should avert your Dell laptop from overheating. There are also a few other workarounds you can do to get it back to normal operations.

104 Posts

July 23rd, 2022 09:00

I have the RTX 3060. I will try to update the driver from Nvidia.I also have the latest BIOS and Windows update.

For sleep mode, I will look into that later. I will use hibernate in the meantime.

thanks.

9 Posts

August 3rd, 2022 18:00

I have the same exact problem. My brand new Dell Inspiron 16 Plus delivered a few days ago gets very hot in sleep mode near the keyboard and the speaker area. I never faced such a problem with the other brand laptops I had used previously. One would expect that no processes are running in sleep mode and CPU is not much in use. I don't know if this problem is specific to Inspiron 16 Plus. I installed the BIOS again to default and re-installed the Nividia drivers etc. Tech support of Dell tried to troubleshoot the problem but I don't think it is helping. Dell should investigate and resolve this issue ASAP.  I want Dell to respond to this post.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2022 16:00

I had that same issues with an Dell Inspiron 3511. Normally when you close the lid the laptop would remain in sleep mode until I open it back as long as the battery isn't low.  When I had it plug in sleep mode the laptop would get extremally hot. When I left it unplugged it goes into hibernate base on the time I set like when you put the laptop to sleep all it does is just turn of the screen. I test it on another 3511 and the next one doesn't have this issues. I even got the board change via warranty after it failed and it was still doing the same. So I'm wondering if it something with lcd ribbon cable or the lid close sensor or switch. 

9 Posts

September 20th, 2022 05:00

I think I found a solution to the problem of overheating of Dell Inspiron 16 Plus. One does not see the "Hibernate" option in Power. One sees only Sleep, Restart, or Shutdown. But one can get the Hibernate mode option by going to Control Panel, Advanced Options, and enabling Hibernate option. After this, one will see Hibernate in Power. By putting the laptop in Hibernate mode instead of Sleep mode, I notice that the laptop does not get hot. one can close the lid after this. Restarting from Hibernate to active mode can be done by opening the lid. Try this and let us know if this has helped overheating problem of the laptop when not in use. 

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 29th, 2022 12:00

I had this exact problem on my weeks old 7620 and my solution was the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. Basically it is because the laptop goes into hibernate mode after several hours of being in sleep mode and when it does that I was getting the heating with lid closed problem. I resolved it by deactivating hibernate through powershell. Now it goes to sleep and stays in sleep until I reopen the lid and I dont have the heating issue anymore.

I cant believe that the Dell engineers missed this !

1 Message

January 8th, 2023 07:00

I have the same problem with a Inspiron 16 bought November last year, which seemed to go into a half a sleep mode, keyboud lit up but the machine wouldn't boot up but really worried me. So did a search and found your posts. I'll leave it up to Dell to sort it.

Bought 2 Inspirons so this is one of a pair so I guess that will have the same problem when I get round to booting it up.

Would be good if Dell posted on here to tell us they are updating it.

1 Message

February 7th, 2023 05:00

I also have a same problem. Sleep mode does not work at all. I bought this laptop in Dezember 2022.

My laptop become always hot in sleep mode and starts automatically again.

Maybe my laptop crushes because of overheating and restarts.

All windows are closed and my works are gone..

I contacted Dell twice but They have not finde a solution yet...

March 27th, 2023 10:00

I have the Vostro 15 7510, which I bought about a year and a half ago. I always keep the laptop closed and use an external keyboard, dual monitors, mouse, speakers, etc (basically use it like a desktop). From my understanding, it goes to sleep after 10 mins of inactivity (on battery power, which it always is), and is set to hibernate 60 hours after that, which it virtually never gets to. However, about 6 months ago, every morning I would wake up to the laptop being super hot, fans on full blast, etc. After that, every morning it was super overheated but the fans were off and it was completely unresponsive; I had to unplug everything, open it up, hold the power button down for a while to force restart it, and then plug everything back in. At this point, it does that every hour or two unless I'm actively using the computer (preventing it from sleeping).

I tried resinstalling windows, which worked for a few days and then went right back to the same issue. I took off the back panel and cleaned the fans, which were pretty filthy. It didn't help at all. I run the Dell SupportAssist app to check for driver updates (including BIOS), and the GeFORCE experience app to check for NVIDIA GPU updates, both at least once a week. Nothing has helped.

Someone said earlier in this thread that this is a known issue on the 3050 cards, which mine is, but it seems like a lot of you other Vostro users are having the same issue.

The two most promising solutions I've seen are to chance the sleep setting from S0 to S3, which I don't really know what that means or how to do it but they left a reddit instruction, which I will link again here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/rzv5l1/comment/hry8ivr/?context=3

Or, to disable hibernate entirely so the computer only ever sleeps.

Any other updates would be super helpful!

July 29th, 2023 03:00

I also have a Dell Inspiron 16 Plus laptop that used to heat up a lot in sleep mode. From the very beginning, I faced some issues as it wouldn't shut down completely; it made a small sound like an electrical discharge and heated up significantly. After a few weeks, the CPU fan suddenly stopped functioning. I had it replaced, but it still promised to overheat in sleep mode. Despite months of research, I couldn't identify the background software causing the issue during sleep (which is entirely illogical since nothing should be happening in sleep mode). Dell's technical support replaced several components, including the motherboard, hard drive, CPU, graphics card, and ventilation system. After a fresh installation of Windows 11, the same problem persisted: the laptop would still get hot during sleep mode.

After trying everything, I finally attempted to disable Windows updates from the settings. Surprisingly, the overheating issue during sleep mode disappeared. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue this way. If anyone with the same problem tries this solution, I'm open to hearing your feedback. I would also appreciate an explanation from Dell regarding the root cause of the issue.

J'ai également un ordinateur portable Dell Inspiron 16 Plus qui chauffait beaucoup en mode veille. Dès le début, j'ai rencontré des problèmes, car il ne s'éteignait pas complètement ; il émettait un léger bruit, semblable à une décharge électrique, et surchauffait considérablement. Après quelques semaines, le ventilateur du microprocesseur a cessé de fonctionner brusquement. J'ai fait remplacer la pièce, mais le problème de surchauffe en mode veille persistait. Malgré des mois de recherche, je n'arrivais pas à identifier le logiciel qui tournait en arrière-plan pendant la veille (ce qui est complètement illogique, car en mode veille, rien ne devrait se passer). Le support technique de Dell a procédé au remplacement de divers composants tels que la carte mère, le disque dur, le processeur (CPU), la carte graphique et le système de ventilation. Après une nouvelle installation de Windows 11, le problème persistait toujours : l'ordinateur chauffait en mode veille.

Après avoir tout essayé, j'ai finalement décidé d'interrompre les mises à jour de Windows depuis les paramètres. À ma grande surprise, la surchauffe en mode veille a cessé. J'espère que cela continuera ainsi. Si quelqu'un ayant rencontré le même problème essaie cette solution, je serai heureux d'entendre vos retours. J'aimerais également obtenir une explication de la part de Dell sur la cause profonde de ce problème.

No Events found!