Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2022 05:00

Inspiron 5518, webcam issue

I purchased a Inspiron 5518 from store 2 days backup and suddenly its webcam started acting weird. The webcam goes blank randomly or shows line. I am in a area with patchy internet and support guys are insisting on reinstalling my OS. I don't understand what OS reinstall is required which will wipe out my data. Driver is updated and its brand new, why can't they send a engineer to check which is 99% a well known hardware issue.

• 

25.7K Posts

May 31st, 2022 02:00

Update = After verifying ownership and completing troubleshooting, a DELL agent setup service.

• 

25.7K Posts

May 18th, 2022 05:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. This Inspiron 5518 was originally ordered on December 13, 2021. It shipped from Dell on January 22, 2022.

May 18th, 2022 08:00

Dell asking to reset complete laptop to resolve webcam lining issue?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 18th, 2022 12:00

Return it to the store you bought it from. It might have been returned or refurbished. 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 18th, 2022 14:00

Take an image backup and let dell do what they want to do 
Obviously, it's not gonna fix it, if it's hardware. 

They will initiate onsite repair (as per warranty ) and you can restore backed up image to be where you are now

May 18th, 2022 21:00

I bought from a city which is 400 miles away can’t go for return now, need to fight with dell only.

i regret my decision to go for dell, it’s support used to be awesome 5/6 years back but now they are useless tech support fellows just reciting a written script from computer.

i would look for HP in my next purchase for sure.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 17:00

I am the IT guy for My company and trust me HP, Lenovo, and Sony are no different. 

OS reinstallation is almost mandatory unless their OEM tools can not detect hardware issues. 

So as an End user we have to become smart and let them play by our rules. 

Always keep an external HDD handy and use an image backup ready 

• 

25.7K Posts

May 24th, 2022 01:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

May 24th, 2022 22:00

I agree but i told them that when i press around webcam it gives me lining.

hence, its clear case of hardware failure.

Anyways , onsite support is arranged but now they claim part delay due to china lockdown.

I don't know why they dont stock at least parts in India. Serious mismanagement.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 25th, 2022 12:00

The issue is worldwide. My US clients are waiting for some system replacement world wide from Both Dell and HP. 

Another suggestion : Get a USB webcam preferably from Logitech, will be a one time investment but with much better quality and can be used with multiple computers. 

• 

25.7K Posts

May 30th, 2022 03:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

No Events found!