Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

May 25th, 2019 09:00

No Bootable Device Found, How do I move Windows 10 from my dead HDD to my new one?

About a month ago my HDD in my Inspiron 15 5558 died. I finally got a new one but when I finished installing it I got an error message saying No Bootable Device Found. I assume this is because my new HDD does not have Windows 10 installed on it, but I am pretty new to fixing computer and don't know if this is the case or how to fix it if it is. If anyone knows how to fix my laptop help would be greatly appreciated. Also the USB Ports on my laptop are broken so any repair methods using USB are out of the question.

Old HDD: WD Blue 1TB (WD10JPVX)

New HDD: WD Black 1TB (WD10JPLX)

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2019 10:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @mlbeal0 

New HDD's normally do not come with W10 preinstalled.

You have 2 options to install an OS.

Use the Dell OS Recovery Tool to create a USB recovery drive that you can use to reinstall the version of Windows or Linux that came with your PC:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/OSISO/recoverytool

For a clean Windows 10 install:

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, using a 16GB flash drive using another Windows PC, if your PC is not working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

Select Download tool now, and select Run. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

Select which media you want to use:

USB flash drive.

Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 16GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

Driver & Download Support for Inspiron 5558:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/drivers

Best regards,

U2

EDIT: If your USB ports do not work then you could try to convert the USB to CD/DVD???

6 Posts

May 25th, 2019 13:00

I downloaded the Windows ISO off the Windows website and ported it a disk and ran it in my laptop but it says Boot Device Failed.  Did I do something wrong? My DVD's are only 4.7 GBs so I couldn't download the other option.

Edit: I don't know why this posted twice.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2019 14:00

Thanks @jphughan 

Its been a long time since I had to burn a DVD.

The OP reports their USB ports are bad.

I receive W10 DVD's with my COA's so I do not need to burn copies on DVD.

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@mlbeal0 

Not your fault.

EDIT: 

• When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.

Did you try to boot from a USB flash drive???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME  DVD-RAM is a completely separate format that practically no disc burners even support these days anymore.  You mean the OP needed a "double/dual layer blank DVD".  That's a different thing, and those discs are available in the popular DVD-R and DVD+R formats.  (And for that matter, there are single layer DVD-RAM discs as well that have the same capacity as the equivalent DVD-R and +R discs.)  All that said, the Windows 10 1903 ISO I downloaded from Microsoft would fit on a single-layer DVD, so even that isn't necessary.

@mlbeal0I'm not sure what "other option" you couldn't download was, but if you use the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 64-bit, you should absolutely be able to burn that to a typical disc.  Or you can use that same tool to create a bootable USB flash drive if you have one with at least 4.4-ish GB of capacity, though that the application might need to format it, so make sure you don't have anything you really need on it.  Flash drives can be created much faster and will install Windows much faster than optical discs anyway. (EDIT: Just saw that your USB ports are all broken.  That's quite a wrinkle, and I would argue would be well worth repairing by getting a replacement motherboard or simply replacing the system entirely, depending on its age. The inability to back up your data to an external hard drive alone would be a dealbreaker for me.)

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@mlbeal0 wrote:

I downloaded the Windows ISO off the Windows website and ported it a disk and ran it in my laptop but it says Boot Device Failed.  Did I do something wrong? My DVD's are only 4.7 GBs so I couldn't download the other option.

Edit: I don't know why this posted twice.

Did you receive any error when creating the DVD???

Did you make a USB drive and try the USB ports on both sides of the laptop???

Regards,

U2

No Events found!