Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2023 04:00

Not detecting NVMe PCIe sdd on 3511

Second day with the laptop, trying to upgrade de 256mb to 1tb.
Looks like the motherboard has PCIe version 3 (4 lanes) and the new ssd is PCIe 4.0

Technically PCIe 4 is back compatible with PCIe 3.

I know the new ssd is working.

Any guidance on this subject?

Things I already did:

- Tried to press F12 to see if the boot manager / window boot detect the new ssd

- Windows install do not detect

- Bios do not detect

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 16:00

Okay, so, the conclusion: the new SSD is faulty.
What I saw "working" in windows was a hard drive with the same size that I overlooked.

I want to say thank you for all you guys that posted here trying to help, I appreciate a lot.

It's pretty bad the situation of this ssd:
ssd 1mb 5.png

2 Intern

• 

278 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 04:00

If the BIOS is not detecting the new SSD, there are a few things you can try:

1. Check the connections: Make sure the SSD is properly connected to the motherboard and the power supply.

2. Update BIOS: Check if there is an updated BIOS version available for your laptop model. Updating the BIOS may add support for newer hardware, including PCIe 4.0.

3. Check compatibility: Make sure the new SSD is compatible with your laptop's hardware specifications, including the PCIe version and number of lanes.

4. Test the SSD on another system: Try installing the new SSD on another system to confirm that it is working correctly.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2023 05:00

Does Windows prompt you for a driver when you attempt to clean install? What is the model number of the M.2 SSD? And yes you are correct, Gen 4 are backward compatible with Gen 3 systems. And F12 may not see the SSD if it has not been allocated and formatted. As far as the BIOS detecting the SSD, I had an Inspiron a few years ago and the BIOS never did detect the M.2 NVMe SSD yet the system booted into Windows just fine from the drive.

4 Posts

Yeah all check up already, about compatibility, PCIe 3 do work with PCIe 4, need more suggestions.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Go into setup (F2 at powerup).  Is the drive showing there?

If not, it's a hardware issue - re-check the connection to the drive.  If it's solidly connected but not showing, the drive is defective.

If the drive DOES show in setup, realize that you will not see it as bootable until you have installed an operating system on the drive.  If that's what you're trying to do, note that as shipped from Dell, the drive will be in IRST/RAID mode.  You will need to pause the install to load a driver for the Intel RAID controller.  Link below.

If this is the only drive in the system, you can set the drive to IRST OFF (AHCI mode) and you then won't need a driver.  This can be changed in setup (F2 at powerup).

The IRST driver you need is here:

(you need the third one listed)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15667/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst-user-interface-and-driver.html?wapkw=intel%20rst

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 06:00

F12 menu does not show the new SSD.

Windows Clean Install: it is also MIA on Windows installation.

On a machine with Windows already isntalled, it detected and I could use it normally.

AHCI mode was the default from factory, guess I can reset the bios to make sure.

I also tested with Ubunto install, it also does not detect the ssd there.

I have included some pictures to answer your guys questions.

20230302_191824.jpg20230302_193627.jpg20230302_182320.jpg

20230303_115352.jpg20230303_115447.jpg20230303_115459.jpg

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 3rd, 2023 07:00

F12 brings up the boot menu.  You need to check in setup, not there.

Press F2 (NOT F12) and go into setup -- does the new drive show there?  If it isn't being recognized by the system at all, no driver is going to fix the issue.  

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2023 12:00

@ejn63 is spot on with his advice. So if you have the drive working fine in another system, and it is not detected in the BIOS, and you cannot clean install Windows on the drive, about the only thing left is that for some reason the drive is not compatible with the 3511. One last thing you could try though I have no idea why this should make a difference. If possible install it in another system as a second drive or in a drive enclosure. Then allocate and format the drive in Disk Management. Then install it in the 3511. This should have no effect on the problem but it seems like you are in desperation mode now so time to try something off the wall.

No Events found!