Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2018 12:00

Nvme SSD recommendation that can boot OS for 7373

As the subject states, I found out my 7373 has a slot for a M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD. I do not need a nvme, it's basically just something to do for play (you know how guys are...if the slot can be filled...).

I don't see the WD Nvme 500GB on the compatible List but hear those are blazing fast. The list says to contact Dell to see if newer models are compatible.

Anyone successfully shut off the AHCI and use an Nvme on the 7373 and successfully boot the OS from that SSD?

Cheers,

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 27th, 2018 12:00

Fyi, in order to claim NVMe support, a system must support booting from NVMe SSDs.  Older PCs that only have PCIe slots can still use PCIe SSDs as data devices, but can't boot from them, because they don't support NVMe.  So if your system supports NVMe, and you find an NVMe SSD, then as long as it physically fits and you install an OS that supports booting from an NVMe device, it will work.  I haven't heard anything specifically about WD SSDs.  I'm a Samsung fan.

13 Posts

July 27th, 2018 22:00

Hey thanks for the response. Both the WD and the Evo Pro are neck and neck with the Evo Pro being slightly faster however real world speeds might differ a bit. Either choice I think I'd be getting an incredible general performance boost. I was looking to save $50

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB-2018-vs-Samsung-970-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB/m485459vsm498971

I'm sure the site isn't definitive too and I will take your response as the correct one, cheers!,

No Events found!