Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

July 24th, 2020 07:00

Product durability

My family and I recently relocated from Chesapeake, VA to Marietta, GA.  During the transit of our household goods with a moving company, an accident occurred which resulted in the truck catching fire and all of our possessions were destroyed.  As you can imagine, this was a very tragic experience for our family.  One of my most valuable items on the truck was an old Dell Inspiron Laptop with AMD Turion (64  X2 – Midnight Blue Model: I1526B8103).  This was valuable because it held all of the pictures and videos of my pregnancy, daughter’s birth, and first 3 years of her life.  I was absolutely distraught about the idea of losing all of those memories forever.  The fire department was able to recover the laptop from the wreckage, but we were confident that all of the data was lost.  I recently brought the charred laptop home and plugged it into a charger that I have for another Dell laptop that I own.  I was surprised to see that the laptop started charging when I plugged it in.  I decided to see what would happen if I turned it on.  I held my breath and when I pressed the power button, it actually turned on!  I checked my files and every single picture and video was still there on the device!  I am writing to say thank you for making a product so durable that it could survive a fire plus water damage from fire fighters working to put out the fire for several hours!!  I am so glad that I trusted Dell with my precious family memories.  I have of course moved everything to the cloud now so that this can never happen again, but I am so grateful to your company for the quality product that you designed.  From my entire family – thank you Dell!!!!

July 24th, 2020 11:00

I recommend you back those precious pictures up to a DVD, USB drive or somesuch, the temperatures and stress, plus water damage it has endured will have been immense. You should always back up and have copies of precious data, not having your only copy on one computer, or the cloud.

I wouldn't have recommended plugging in a seriously water and fire/heat damaged laptop. I actually find it hard to believe this story is true, somehow, as common sense should tell you NO.

No Events found!