Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

8 Posts

April 5th, 2020 15:00

Random Blue screen of death (BSOD) FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE

I recently experienced a lot of random blue screen of death crashes (Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE). It happened quite randomly even after I updated all drivers/firmware to the latest version.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-15-3579-laptop/drivers

I used Dell pre-boot diagnostic (PSA or ePSA) tool to test for hardware failures for more than 4 hours but found no error. 

Here is the link to the minidump file

Minidum file

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Info

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Name DELL-G3
System Model G3 3579
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 086F
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.11.0, 2019-11-18
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Possible
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

8 Posts

April 9th, 2020 03:00

Ran MemTest86 for 3 hours. These wasn't any error after 48 tests

8 Posts

April 11th, 2020 07:00

WhoCrashed log but neither RAM nor heat were the problem after testing with Dell's software and MemTest86

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041020-10843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2360)
Bugcheck code: 0x12B (0xFFFFFFFFC00002C4, 0x3AE, 0x27DD0BD5D80, 0xFFFF8B81657D1000)
Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a single-bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This error suggests a case of memory corruption because of a hardware problem. It is suggested you do a test on your RAM modules (memory test) and make sure your system is not getting overheated. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

5.6K Posts

April 11th, 2020 08:00

Dell Diagnostics ?

8 Posts

April 11th, 2020 11:00

Yes. Already done without any error

8 Posts

May 17th, 2020 09:00

Update: I suspected Avast antivirus (free edition) was the culprit so I uninstalled it. Haven't had the BOSD problem in about a month

October 24th, 2020 21:00

Hi @mscmilan . I ran into the same problem yesterday. My laptop is also G3 3579 but i5 processor . Please tell me whether you were able to solve it and if yes how you solved it. 

March 9th, 2021 08:00

I am having the same issue and my preliminary instigation is pointing to Hyper-V.

Check device manager for an Unknown device (under Other devices). Check their events. It should match the BSODs occurrences and the device instance path should be similar to this:

ROOT\VMS_VSMP\0001

I still don't know how to exactly fix the problem yet without disabling Hyper-V. I can't disable it because I need it for my work. And this is not a a DELL specific issue.

March 9th, 2021 09:00

I have narrowed it down to Microsoft NDIS Capture failing to start on Hyper-V's virtual network switch.

Which makes me suspect it has to do with my setup that uses intel wireless NIC, which have been problematic for many times over with their drivers causing BSODs. I think this time is no different.

Going to virtual switch manager of Hyper-V to disable Microsoft NDIS Capture (under the switches extensions) may solve the issue for good. But I don't yet understand the implications of it. I may lose WSL2 connectivity, but still going to test some stuff.

No Events found!