Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

15 Posts

October 14th, 2021 13:00

Inspiron 16 7610 Touchpad, running list

Hi all,

As many of us are facing issues with the Inspiron 7610 touchpad, I have noticed that Dell has not taken a position on this and refuses to do anything besides forcing you to send in the laptop (and change out parts to no avail). Comment if you are also having the same issue or find other links sharing the same issue. Thanks!

3 Posts

January 5th, 2022 19:00

I am in the same boat with the glitching trackpad.  I fought with support for hours and ended up asking for a direct replacement back in October.  I was denied, so I initiated a chargeback with my CC company and won that case.  Now, on 12-23-2021 I'm getting communications from Dell that I have an outstanding balance.  I've requested 6 times for them to take the defective laptop back to no avail.  

Who or how did you get Dell to take back the defective machine for a refund.  I didn't have time for "games" while Dell was figuring out what was wrong, and I bought another laptop months ago after the chargeback went through.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2022 02:00

Can Dell give some "useful" responses or acknowledgments on this issue?

Or, even let us know that you are looking for the root cause right now.

Even though many users have reported for several months, dell still only provides replacements that seem to be useless, which makes me very disappointed.

January 7th, 2022 16:00

Took a while but got the refund. Case closed, now onto hunt for another laptop. 

1 Message

January 8th, 2022 12:00

Is you issue now resolved ??

Please tell as I am facing the same issue............

January 11th, 2022 11:00

I am sad to report that the two mitigation strategies for the trackpad issue that I tried both proved futile in the long run. These involved attempting to shield the bottom of the trackpad from the battery with aluminum foil supported by thin pieces of plastic as detailed by posts earlier in this topic.  Both involved opening the case and removing the battery.  Both times, the problem went way temporarily; the first time for three weeks, the second time for about a week.  Since the problem was temporarily mitigated when the battery was removed and replaced, I remain convinced that the root of the problem is some unfortunate interaction between the battery and the trackpad. 

Most recently, I tried a “solved” fix from another forum that involved updating the BIOS and all drivers, resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, and disabling UHD graphics so the display was running the default Microsoft driver.  That did not work for me. 

At this point, I am resigned to using a USB mouse.  I don’t have the time or energy to fight with Dell over getting a repair or replacement, particularly in light of the world’s current supply chain issues and the experiences of others who have posted in this topic.

The takeaway for me reinforces a personal policy that I chose to ignore with this purchase: Do not buy a newly introduced model, wait five or six months and pay attention to reviews.  I certainly would not have purchased the 7610 had I waited and seen the trackpad issue postings.  I ignored my own advice because I really wanted a 16:10 16” display, and it was one of the very few available.  And it was a Dell.

“It was a Dell.” That really used to mean something to me.  I have purchased hundreds of Dell desktops and laptops in the last twenty years of my professional life, and so far all my home machines that I did not build myself have been Dells.  Over the years I have had few problems, and those that did crop up were satisfactorily resolved by Dell support.  Twenty years ago, Dell support was outstanding, particularly for the business models I bought, Latitudes and Optiplexes.  These were supported by U.S. staff long after support for home users was shifted offshore.  Over time, the support emphasis for both home and business users seemed to shift from getting the customer up and running as quickly as possible, to avoiding parts replacement at all costs. I suspect this is an industry-wide phenomenon and not restricted to just Dell, but I have no experience with the other big players, such as HP and Lenovo.

Okay, (expensive) lesson learned.  I’ll know better next time.

75 Posts

January 11th, 2022 12:00

This really should be unsolved, my post was marked as solved after a repair that didnt work.

I have now received today a new laptop. Working for now, I will update if it does go wrong. It still annoys me that this issue is still ongoing for over 6 months people have been reporting this. I guess there are some good ones out there, hopefully the one I'm using is one of them. Good luck everyone!  

19 Posts

January 11th, 2022 13:00

Good Luck with the replacement. Keep us posted.

I had the touchpad replaced by Dell Repair Depot. (After MB and SSD replacements by onsite tech) It worked correctly after the touchpad replacement for only about 36 hours, about the same amount of time it worked correctly in the beginning. Currently waiting for support to get back to me on the next steps.

So incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

19 Posts

January 11th, 2022 13:00

I like you wish I would have waited and did more research. Nothing has worked to fix mine so far. 

January 11th, 2022 15:00

I feel just the same as you! u.u 

2 Posts

January 12th, 2022 15:00

Please post similar issue with track pad for Dell Inspiron 16 7610. 

This issue has not been resolved. Remedial actions detailed below for your records 

Win 10 20H2 Trackpad problems 

Win 10 21H1 Same

Win 11 Same 

Bios all up to date. Drivers for device all up to date. 

No failures on diagnostics.

I think the trackpad maybe Cypress trackpads, Checked for alternative Cypress trackpad drivers found them and installed with 24 hours trouble free use until problem re-ocurring. 

I have seen this problem before on Latitude 7400/7410 and i believe there was a software/driver patch released which resolved the issue. Cover and battery of machine not removed at this point to avoid warranty violation. Unit is just over 1 week old and issue started about 3 days after purchase. 

Hard to say if this is a hardware or software issue at this point. What is becoming clear is the potential of a problem with manufacture, component procurement and QA. Now these are not cheap PC's so i am very disappointed with this issue. Retailer informed and looking at options. I think a refund and my 8 year association with Dell products may be coming to an end. Dell are you listening? If so any advice (other than the scripted process) would be helpful. Thank you !

2 Posts

January 12th, 2022 15:00

Update to note.

Also uninstalling drivers and restarting PC to enable drivers also does not work. 

75 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 07:00

I love how this is still marked as "solved" The only way to "solve" this is to get a replacement that works. Obviously some do, the reviews show that. The issue must be quality control. I had a repair on my first laptop that lasted a day, I now have a new laptop that - fingers crossed - is working. However I am limiting my usage of the touchpad by using a mouse whenever possible. It would be nice if Dell would actually come clean and advise owners that it is a hardware issue, rather than have us jump through hoops trying to fix the unfixable.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 07:00

Experiecing the same issue. I have my Inspiron 16 Plus 7610 for 30 days now. The touchpad was already repaired after 1 week of using (I got new touchpad), but it worked only 1 day properly. Now it's back.

I still hope Dell will show us some real solution soon, as I tried everything I found on the internet and nothing works (ok, I didn't tried piece of aluminium between battery and touchpad but I don't want to damage the hardware). I spent a lot of time with searching for possible reason, but there is nothing I could say it affects the touchpad functionality.

No matter if extern devices connected or not, no matter if running on battery or charging cable, no matter if low or high temperatures, no matter what and how many apps/software is running, no matter how long I'm using the laptop. Sometimes it's right after reboot, sometimes it's after few hours of active office work. Sometimes the issue is only for 5 minutes, sometimes for 1 hour and longer.

19 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 09:00

@madmackem 

I just received my new replacement system after MB, SSD, touchpad replacements. Too soon to tell if this one will be better. I, like you, am keeping fingers crossed. I am almost afraid to use the touchpad for fear the issue will start and the nightmare will start all over again. 

Good luck to you.

Dell really needs to take accountability for these failures and treat the customer with a bit of respect. The last 2 months has been a nightmare. Now I am fighting to get a return shipping label to return the replaced system. This likely will be my last Dell.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 10:00

Just adding another voice to the thread. I bought a brand new Inspiron 16 7610 a week ago. Started setting it up three days ago and have just hit the erratic touchpad issue. I will be contacting Dell support today.

No Events found!