Highlighted
Lawzy
1 Copper

SSD Upgrade Inspiron 11 3000 (3162/3164)

I have just picked up an Inspiron 11 3000 which has 32Gb storage. I’ve now found that there just isn’t enough stratagem to upgrade Windows 10 and/or add anything meaningful as capacity is maxing out. So, I picked up a 120 Gb NAND 2.5” 7mm SATA III internal SSD on the assumption I’ll add some extra space. Rather than fumbling my way through the installation, does anyone out there have a guide I can follow for this laptop specifically? Thanks.

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
4 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: SSD Upgrade Inspiron 11 3000 (3162/3164)

There's no way to install a second drive in this model - the 32G drive is a soldered-on eMMC chip, and there will be no SATA port inside the system.  If you want to use it, you'll need to mount that drive in a 2.5" USB 3.0 case and run it externally.

Dr.Cohen
1 Copper

I was in the same position. I'm returning the PC for a refund. If you install a second drive, Windows will still put a lot of stuff on your C: drive -- programs, app data, documents, pictures, music, etc. You can configure Windows to put some of that on your second drive, but not all. Bottom line is that it's very difficult to keep the 32GB SSD from saturating.
0 Kudos
Phil817
1 Copper

Twas a bad buy.  However, I got it in a pinch to cover me until I decided on a "real" laptop replacement.  I tried to update the RAM, but the inside was totally different then the service manual so I said.. Nah !!!  I keep taking things off and windows 10 kept loading back with updates.  I've run out of things to remove. LOL.  I'm going to see if I can find a way to shut off windows update and delete some of the old ones, and just use the thing to watch Vids while I sit outside and drink beer.  "Maybe".

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@Phil817 wrote:

Twas a bad buy.  However, I got it in a pinch to cover me until I decided on a "real" laptop replacement.  I tried to update the RAM, but the inside was totally different then the service manual so I said.. Nah !!!  I keep taking things off and windows 10 kept loading back with updates.  I've run out of things to remove. LOL.  I'm going to see if I can find a way to shut off windows update and delete some of the old ones, and just use the thing to watch Vids while I sit outside and drink beer.  "Maybe".

The simple fix with the laptops with 32 GB eMMC hard drives is to move all your personal files such as photos to a microSD card or a USB flash drive.

Do a clean installation of Windows 10.

Install drivers starting with the chipset.

Run Disk Cleanup after every Windows 10 update.

Simple.

0 Kudos