Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 15:00

(Seemingly) random performance issues

I have a G7 (8-th gen i7, GTX1060) and it used to run games smoothly. However, I've been experiencing severe performance drops during games with frame rates frequently dropping to 10-15 FPS on games that used to run perfectly well, and the reason seems to be thermal throttling, as the laptop gets extremely hot (I don't even know if its okay to be this hot, sometimes it's too uncomfortable for me to put my fingers on the keyboard).

What's driving me crazy is that I can't find a reason as to why it sometimes throttles and sometimes does not, but lately it has been throttling most of the time shortly after I push it a little bit. The weather has gotten a bit warmer lately, but its nothing crazy (around 25C inside) and that shouldn't be nearly enough to drop the performance to downright unplayable.

I tried fiddling around with the thermal management settings in the dell power manager, switching between optimized, cool, and ultra-performance but to no avail.

Any help or troubleshooting tips are much appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 15:00

You could drop your bottom cover and clear and built out dust. if this is not the problem then.

Well first of all run a program that you can monitor you CPU and GPU performance, Load, Temp and Fan speed.

This will help you determine what is really going on. Once  you sure that the CPU or and GPU are actually overheating 100C is where you CPU should start Throttling your all ready to hot by then. You may well be due to repaste your CPU and GPU. You can find lots of Videos on this procedure on YouTube.

To get this information you need to log on to  Dell Support, enter your model number, and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual there you will find out how to open your notebook and should have a section on replacing your cooling system. actual pasting will be per the video you like the best lots of different types of Thermal Paste. I would stuffy up on all of them in reference to notebooks. things that are good for Desktops or not as good for notebooks. Liqud metal types are really good but also need to be installed by an experience person as they, if use wrong can damage your notebook.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2020 01:00

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me the name of such a program?

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2020 12:00

hwinfo64 is a good one and you can set up to record a log of what goes on over a period of time.

No Events found!