Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2019 15:00

Setting up two monitors

I have a Dell Inspiron 537s and I'd like to set up two monitors.. I tried using a VGA splitter, but all this does is make both monitors show the same screen, computer will not detect second monitor..

Someone mentioned to me that I'd need to install a second Graphics Card.

My question to you is: which graphics card would I need to install to make this work.

Thanks

Ron.

17 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 06:00

Thanks jphghan appreciate your answer. Great to have people like you to give a good answers..People that know what there talking about.

Ron.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 17:00

The only video output type that allows you to use a splitter to run multiple independent displays is DisplayPort (or Mini-DisplayPort), and those devices are called "MST hubs".  In terms of your question, first of all are you sure you typed your system model correctly?  The reason I ask is that the Inspiron 537s is coming up as a desktop, and you posted this in the Laptops section.  But assuming it was correct, the Setup Guide for that system here indicates that it has both a VGA and HDMI port.  If so, then you can connect one display via VGA and another via HDMI.  If neither of your displays has an HDMI input, there are HDMI to DVI adapters and also HDMI to VGA adapters, although the former will give you a higher quality signal since VGA is analog, whereas all other display connector types are digital.  If you're not sure what to get, it would help to specify the input(s) available on the displays you want to use.

If your system doesn't have the HDMI output indicated in that document, you would indeed need a video card.  You can buy any "half-height" or "low profile" video card that includes the appropriate half-height/low profile bracket necessary to use with your system.  Any video card these days will have AT LEAST two video outputs, and if you're not concerned about graphics performance for things like games, you can buy basically any video card.  You'll find some video cards for as little as $35-50, and even those should perform at least as well as the Intel Graphics built into the system.  Note that lower-end graphics cards probably include some combination of VGA, DVI, and HDMI.  The first two are ancient connectors by today's standards.  Higher-end graphics cards probably include HDMI and DisplayPort (or Mini-DisplayPort).  Those would be more futureproof if you decide to upgrade your displays later, and there are adapters that can take DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort and give you an HDMI, DVI, or VGA output if you need those.  Whatever you get, for best performance, connect both of your displays to the video card you install, not just the second one, and of course download the latest drivers for that card from the vendor (NVIDIA or AMD, depending on the card you choose).

17 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 05:00

Thanks jphghan great answer, and you are correct, I did post in the wrong forum, eyes are playing tricks at my age..

The desktop has only one VGA hookup no other type of hookup.. My Dell monitor has a DVI hookup, but the Acer monitor does not have that type of hookup... My Dell monitor has a HDMI slot, but again the Acer does not. I do have another Dell monitor I should try to hook that one up, just it's smaller..

I did take a chance and ordered a VisionTek ATI Radeon 4350 512 MB DMS59 PCI-E Low Profile Video Card 4350DMG512

I will also look into the MST Hubs, sounds like a good idea.

I am not into gaming, yet I do own and run a Arcade forum with close to 7000 flash games, yet I don't play them..

I'd like to have dual monitors, simple because I work on web forums, in and out of cPanels and FTP's, doing code changes, etc.

Again I appreciate your great answer..

Ron.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 06:00

@Binkie1938  happy to help!  Since the video card description includes DMS59, that refers to a connector that can be broken out into either dual VGA or dual DVI.  In either case, unlike with a splitter setup, a DMS59 port actually does carry two independent video channels, so the dual connectors you'll get will be capable of running independent displays.  And since it looks like that card also comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, and one of your displays actually has a DVI input, then you'll want to use the DMS59 to dual DVI breakout cable, then connect your Dell monitor to one of the DVI outputs on that breakout cable, and finally plug the DVI to VGA adapter into the other output and connect your second display via VGA to that output.

As for the MST hub, you can't use that unless you have a DisplayPort 1.2 port on your system or graphics card, and it sounds like you won't even after installing that card.

Good luck!

No Events found!