Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 13th, 2019 17:00

Should I update my BIOS? (Dell Inspiron 5379)

591 Posts

March 14th, 2019 00:00

Hello, For bios updates i use the principe "be carefull they can brick your device" however the bios update you linked to contains fixes for several security advisories in that case you should update it. download the update file when this is done plugin your external AC adapter .If your system uses Bitlocker drive encryption suspend bitlocker BEFORE your run the update. Double click the bios update file and follow the prompts just let it do it's thing you'll see a black screen that says "updating your firmware" or something like that.

When you are done reenable Bitlocker don't worry if you forget about this it happens automatically on the next reboot.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2019 09:00

Quite frankly, based on my experience of Dell Bios updates, I wouldn't unless you see a feature that you really need. I have 2 Inspirons in daily use, one since around 2011 and the newer a 5548 purchased 2015. Out of about 6 Bios updates I tried to apply to these PCs only one ran well and didn't introduce new problems. In all cases the update appeared to load correctly without any error messages but then using the PC I encountered subtle, or not so subtle, problems. 

293 Posts

March 14th, 2019 12:00

That's right @miketsp2 and to add to my above statement, I have never had the need to update any drivers that DELL recommends. Again, if working, why fix it.  Everything stays as from the time I receive laptops from the factory and I have 3 different mfg laptops.  

O, 2 exceptions, I go to Nvidia website for updates for driver updates on the graphics cards, and Logitech for my G Force update software. 

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 17th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your technical response! I have updated the BIOS in the past on this laptop with no issues, so I think I'll update it again in a few months after my exams are done. That way, if something breaks I won't have to stress about losing my programs.

No Events found!