Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

October 15th, 2019 04:00

Something blocking my SSD!

PicsArt_10-15-05.00.33.jpg

Something in red circle, it blocks my SSD. I forced it and sometimes my SSD detected,sometimes it won't detect. Any solution? I need help...

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Devalvin 

That's your CMOS/BIOS battery.

To better assist you, the members would need the exact model number of your laptop/desktop???

Identify your Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag?dgc=SM&cid=226210&lid=spr2429124398&linkId=69606563

Best regards,

U2

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERVICE TAGS!!!

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 05:00

My Model Is Inspiron 5482 (i3 version), I hope you can help me. That Cmos Battery kind of slightly block my SSD (My SSD moved, then it won't detect because of that Cmos Battery) My SSD is work good in another device without slightly blocked, but in my laptop... A bad news

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 11:00

It sounds like your going to have to make a physical adjustment to insure that BIOS Battery does not interfere with your SSD either the SSD remove some material or move the BIOS Battery over just a bit. A close look at both should tell you which.  If your in warranty I guess you could send it in for repair if your specs do include use of an SSD in that slot.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 12:00

@Devalvin 

I see in your manual that your SSD could have been a 2230.

Did you install the 2280 SSD???

You would think Dell would have made sure the battery would fit???

You could try to reroute it to another location???

There are some XPS CMOS batteries that are "Dime" size.

One would work and could fit???

Regards,

U2

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 13:00

I agree, how can the specs state clearly an M.2 2280 SSD then not leave room for it next to the CMOS battery. The only thing I can see , and the picture is not clear enough with the tight shot, is whether you have an HDD installed in the bracket by the battery. If not then possibly you can route the cable and battery and tuck it into the bracket. Not very elegant but if it works then it cures the problem. Unless of course you decide to add an HDD or 2.5" SSD. And then we are back to square one.

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2019 19:00

That is a bit confusing. If you are talking about the M.2 slot, there is no magnet in that slot. The SSD is held down by a very small screw which should have been in the system.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 19:00

I'm thanking to you all guys for helping, but I have a new different problem here 

IMG20191224100413.jpg

• After I tried to adjust the position of Cmos battery and it's fine. The slot's magnet won't work.. it won't sticks my ssd. I don't know how to fix it, thanks.
  • Plus my Dell won't detect the ssd

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 20:00

Well im not using any screws, because I thing there's no place to put a screw on. I thing it's magnetic because before it, the slot sticks to my SSD without any screw on it

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2019 23:00

Well, you need to use the screw in the other end from the connector. The SSD can not be connected without being in the correct position. The Slot tips up to connect then the screw in the other end brings it into the correct position and locks it there. If you don't see any place to put the screw then you'll need the correct adapter from Dell. Your Service manual should have this information.

How are you trying to see your SSD, a Clean install? You'll need to install the IRST driver to see the new SSD as an installable Volume. A clone from your old OS Drive to your new SSD will work At least using Macrium Reflect Free will have you up and running in about 20 minutes

No Events found!