Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

November 6th, 2019 23:00

Still after 10 years not solved: Laptop does't always shut down when lid is clos

I have bought my second dell Laptop (Inspiron 5770 17"), before, I had a Dell Latitude, I got that one about 10 years ago.

I bought the Inspiron this March (2019). It came with Windows 10.

I thought, in the meantime (after around 10 years), Dell and Microsoft solved the problem, that when you have activated "standby when closing lid", it will work in 10 out of 10 times.

I mean: Yes, Dell and Microsoft are not one corporation, but nowadays, this is often the case, e.g. with Samsung and Google. All my phones work perfectly fine.

However, when I close my laptop lid, lets say in around 7 to 9 out of 10 times, it  - still after 10 years of 'research and development' - can happen that it really goes into standby, in the other cases, it will not.
The only way of noticing that was before to ... randomly hear the fan work after one or two hours.

This situation is unacceptable for a 1200€ device (as the problem was the exact same with my device which I had 10 years ago).

It is like you close your fridge and you trust the light to be switched off but it won't.

Meanwhile I found myself an 'emergency-solution': I have an USB-Licenser which has a red LED.
However, I only have 3 USB-Ports.
I leave this USB-E-Licenser plugged in one of my USB-Ports (even though I don't need it) - so that it can warn me with a red light, that the device didn't shut down properly. Otherwise, I would have to listen to the fan an I guess, the fan sometimes is deactivated.

You will say: If you don't like Dell, then go to another brand.

Well, to be honest, I am thinking of that.
I can't imagine, that Apple has the same issues.
The problem is, that most of my very expensive (music) software does only work on Windows.
But I can buy different software if it is necessary.

How do you guys deal with this whole issue?

Last night - twice - even something stranger happened.

My laptop was in standby, I often put it there manually with the 'power' button. The light of the USB-Licenser was definitely off.
But, I went to bed and it reactivated on his own!
I thought I had it forgotten and Í put it into standby again.
Then the same thing happened about 30 mins later.

Then I shut it down completely.
I searched on the internet for that issue and found out, that Microsoft's only hint is, that there could be devices, that are able to wake up the Laptop from standby. I followed the instruction and made an inquiry through the command line, to find out, what devices are able to do so.
The result was, that there is no device, which can do that.

So here I am and it is disappointing.
You may say: 'Well - this is Microsoft's problem and not ours - it's none of our business'

That may be true, but as I said, there are other examples (e.g. Android Phones or TVs ...) which work just fine and are made with 'components' from two very different brands.
I think in those cases, the companies have managed to talk to each other in order to produce a good product.
I have the impression, that Microsoft and Dell don't talk to each other at all, otherwise these issues would have been solved after 10 years, or what do you think?

• 

25.7K Posts

November 9th, 2019 08:00

Hi,
Thanks for writing in. I was unable to view the pictures which you'd shared. Could you send the pictures through email at sos@dell.com? Mention the reference number in the subject line: 1002504879.
Regards,
Mausam

16 Posts

November 10th, 2019 07:00

Concerning the Auto-Wake-Up of my Laptop (which is not the issue I am addressing originally in this post - it is, why it, after heaving used multiple dell-laptop-generations in a time span over 10 years, is still not possible to expect the laptop to go into standby reproducibly when closing the lid):
It happened last night again, I tackled to solve it on my own, I have posted the results in the following thread, as there was, until now, more support from other users outside the dell forum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/computer/comments/dth36r/still_after_10_years_not_solved_laptop_doesnt/

I was right, it is an automatic update function, which I have never authorized and which can easily destroy my os - this already happened with a regularly authorized Windows update some weeks ago. 

So I am still waiting for solutions for my initial question, additionally, it would be great to hear something about 2) the optane issue and 3) the 200hz pwm issue I was addressing above, which still also persists through multiple dell laptop generations.

You said, you were unable to access the pictures I shared 1) by heaving them uploaded directly on your board via the picture upload function and 2) by heaving them additionally uploaded to a third party service called ibb.co  or somehing.

I am curios, what problem there is for a staff-member like you to access a simple picture.
Are you sure I am in the right place here?
Please elaborate, so that I can resend them, I didn't receive any answer concerning the other pictures emailed to you yet. I would appreciate to knowing the reason at least, before I will spend more time and send them - again.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 10th, 2019 10:00

Hi, 

Regardingt he intel optane issue, did you get an opportunity to try the steps in this link:https://dell.to/2Nyoe4i

and https://dell.to/2CrRp2V

Also, may be since the images were attached using a third party applicatio, i'm unable to view them. Will you be able to send the images to sos@dell.com with the subject line: 1002504879.

Regards, 

Prajesh

16 Posts

November 11th, 2019 23:00

As the Facebook-Login procedure doesn't seem to work, I logged in with my other account, which I forgot, that I had.

Forget about the optane thing.

I uninstalled the Optane software and I hope it will work.

I also didn't read your other advises concerning that issue, my time is valuable.

What about:

- the pwm issue?
- the issue, that although in technical terms (speaking of hardware), there already is a switch or sensor, that detects, if I close my laptop-lid, it doesn't work good enough, as mentioned several times before.
Where is the difficulty to implement a procedure, that, when the lid is closed, the thing will shut down after 60 second in 100 out of 100 times. Or should I keep doing that manually, as I am doing it now, by long-pressing the power-button?  If you buy a fridge, you also wouldn't say 'its the problem of the guy who was responsible for designing the IC of the light-switchnig-off-mechanism - it's not my problem that the light isn't switched of when you close the door as I only design the fridge'.

Buy it or leave it - bro.

Well, this seems illogical to me.
Won't there be any answers to my questions?

• 

109 Posts

November 12th, 2019 01:00

Hello!

Could you check if this helps?

Right>click on the battery icon > power options > choose what the power button does > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Turn on fast start up > Disable this option. Apply setting and check if this issue persists.

Simran

16 Posts

November 13th, 2019 00:00

Hello, I have also posted my Questions in the Microsoft-Answers-Board (German).

You can find it here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/aindows_10-update/bitte-um-stellungnahme-zu-autoreaktivierung-mitten/ddae9573-44fe-47da-a01e-7b338fb29682?tm=1573478752037 

Someone answered me in German and was saying, that it is the responsibility of dell, which is not sufficiently taking care of those problems. I see it the exact same way. The excerpt of the posting (German) is at the end of my posting (see below).

I did what you suggested and deactivated the option.
I cannot tell however, if this enough, because, the problem happens very irregularly.
If I knew, when it will happen / by what it is caused, I wouldn't need an external device ("USB-E-Licenser with a red LED") in order to tell me, when it happens (as I posted here: https://recording.de/threads/crossgrade-und-cubase-service.228611/page-2 

see image on "page 2").

So ... I guess, there won't be a solution ever, will there?

What about the PWM Issue ? Is this also hopeless?

[...] (excerpt of German Microsoft Answers)

Ich habe mir mal die von Ihnen angehängten Posts durchgelesen.
Leider ist einiges davon kein Problem von Windows sondern die anscheinend leicht vernachlässigte Pflicht von Dell ordnungsgemäße Hardwareunterstützung (Sleep on Lid close, Power Managment, etc) und benutzerfreundliche Einstellungen bereitzustellen

• 

25.7K Posts

November 13th, 2019 09:00

In that case, I'd request you to monitor the system and let us know if you come across the issue again. 
You could reach out to us once you face the same situation. 

Regarding the PWM issue, could you provide a brief description of that? 
In that way, we can understand the issue clearly and help you towards resolution. 

Thank you. 

Dell - Khalander.

16 Posts

November 13th, 2019 22:00

What was unclear about the prior description I gave.
I think everything is clear.

Concerning the not-shutting-down-properly issue:

So you are encouraging me to leave my USB device with a LED occupying one of my three USB-ports, just in case you were wrong?

USB E-Licenser with red LED as a failsafe-mechanism if dell doesn't shut down properly againUSB E-Licenser with red LED as a failsafe-mechanism if dell doesn't shut down properly again

• 

109 Posts

November 14th, 2019 01:00

Hello!

Please check if this helps!

To disable connected standby and to use basic sleep disable the feature as follows:
1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).

2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.

3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.

Have you tried clean boot and testing the issue on a new user profile?

Do try this and let me know!

Simran

16 Posts

November 14th, 2019 01:00

I think we are talking past each other.

This happens
1) with my Dell-Device, which I originally got 10 years ago and which then had Windows 7 (with another OS)
when I lately upgraded this older laptop to Win10 pro, it still would happen.

2) it still happens with my modern device, which I bought in March 2019 in the Dell store
But as I told you, it is not predictable, when (!) it will happen
This is the reason, why I found myself an "emergency-solution" and plugged in a "kind-of-USB-stick-licenser", which has a red LED (see picture from my last posting - but your pc doesn't support looking at uploaded pictures in your own board, right?) and which stays on (meaning I will notice the red light, even after it should have been shut down) when the device didn't shut down properly and warns me, when it happens again, as it is very difficult, to detect if my laptop shut down properly, after I closed my lid (because everything ca be very silent at the beginning).

So it happens with two completely independent devices (build around 10 years+ apart from each other) on two different OS, the only thing they have in common is, that they are both from you (dell).

So if you are telling me to try it out for one time (after heaving followed your latest advice), you didn't understand the meaning of the word irregular(ly):

It happens and I don't know, when it will happen the next time.

It could be today, it could be in a week. How should I know?

But it still happens. For more then 10 years.

So your responsibility would be to give me a solution, without heaving to try it out. Don't you understand?

What about the PWM issue, which is also very well known around dell-laptop users all around the world and which is also persistent for more then 10 years. You don't know what pwm is, right?
Maybe someone in your company does.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 14th, 2019 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I reviewed your message and I have checked this case and suggest you try reinstalling windows and install the windows updates and Dell drivers and then install one program at a time and test the system and see if that helps. If the issue persists, then I'll go ahead and have this reviewed by our internal team to see what best can be done.

To download windows, follow the link below and make sure you backup all your data before reinstalling windows.

https://dell.to/373Oonp

Regards,

Dell-GopalD

No Events found!