Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2019 11:00

THUNDERBOLT3 EXTERNAL SDD WINDOWS10

HI,

I have dell G5/i9/32GB and SAMSUNG SDD X5 500GB Thunderbold3.

I want to install windows 10 on to external sdd using thunderbold3.

Will there be a big drop in performance?
I want to play games.

How to do it?

Thank you Jarek.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 7th, 2019 14:00

Theoretically this should work, but I've never tested it.  Check the Thunderbolt section of the BIOS setup and make sure all of the boot-related options are enabled.  In that case, as long as the SSD is connected at boot, if you boot from your Windows 10 installation media, it should see the SSD just like it would see an internal SSD, and although Windows can't boot from external USB drives, since Thunderbolt is just an extension of PCIe, it should work -- but again, "should" is the operative word here.

As for performance, if the G5 has a PCIe x4 interface for its Thunderbolt connector, there won't be any drop in performance since that's all that an internal PCIe/NVMe SSD would get anyway.  If that system only has a PCIe x2 interface on its Thunderbolt connector, there will be a drop in performance.  NVMe SSDs that only have an x2 interface top out around 1.8 GB/s sequential reads and writes, as a reference.

Out of curiosity though, why wouldn't you just install an NVMe SSD internally?

2 Posts

January 8th, 2019 00:00

Thank you for your response. In principle, the computer belongs to my brother, I have access to it but it does not allow me to install anything. Thank you, Jarek.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

August 14th, 2020 08:00

I can confirm it is possible to install Windows 10 to said external drive. Windows will boot and run from the drive normally after the installation. I also use a G5 and I tried this with that exact drive model (Samsung X5 500GB).

Some more info and an issue I'm having concerning this topic:

I was able to transfer the OEM Windows 10 system which shipped with the laptop to the external drive - I had to make Windows bootable from AHCI first using the Safe Mode method. It boots and runs normally. Even the original SupportAssist OS Recovery function works and will revert to the factory image, although I did have to slipstream an NVMe driver to the factory .swm image first to make it bootable from the X5 - the factory image was installed in RAID mode.

What I did not manage to do yet is to successfully transfer a clean installation of Windows 10 on the internal NMVe drive to the external NVMe drive. I had installed Windows 10 in RAID mode, so I made it AHCI bootable in Safe Mode as with the OEM OS and figured that should be enough to make it bootable from the external drive, but I was obviously mistaken: Once transferred to the X5, Windows will boot straight into "Preparing Automatic Repair" mode and fail to repair anything. I've tried to solve the issue for a couple of days now but have not been successful. I'm out of ideas at this point, so if anyone has any info on how to do this I would very much appreciate it. Cheers.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 1st, 2020 08:00

Ok, after closer examination it seems the imaging software I'm using, which is somewhat dated, is unable to cope with the 4K sectors of the X5: Partitions are aligned since the software uses the LBAs of the X5, but the file systems it creates obviously don't. I've tried several other up-to-date disk imaging/cloning programs without success. For whatever reason, cloning the OEM system works, but not a clean installation of Windows 10.

I should note that everything works normally when cloning the OEM disk to the X5 except for the Device Encryption feature - this becomes broken on the external drive.

The performance of the X5 is actually higher than the factory original internal NVMe drive (an SK hynix BC501 in my case) - it's quite impressive, actually.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 1st, 2020 19:00

As I suspected, it's the file systems the imaging software produces which was the problem: Not to get too technical, but the software reproduces the original MFT zone start and end values of the file systems it copies, which are incompatible with the X5. These numbers happen to line up for the OEM image. Also, the original EFI system partition (99MB), which the imaging software also reproduces, is too small to fit a FAT32 volume on a disk with 4K sectors, resulting in a corrupt volume. I was able to circumvent the problem by using the partition structure created by the Windows installer on the X5, formatting each partition using the OS formatting utility and copying the contents of the original partitions to the new ones. It's a somewhat cumbersome and time consuming procedure, but less so than having to reinstall Windows from scratch, along with the slew of software and settings I had already installed on the internal drive.

Don't know if Dell's engineers purposefully installed the OEM system with MFTs that are compatible with both legacy and 4K disks, but kudos to them if they did

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 10:00

BTW, in answer to the query about why you would want to use an external boot drive rather than the internal one, here are a couple of reasons:

1. It's easy to switch external drives to run different OSs and configurations.

2 It's easier to replace the external drive when it goes kaputt.

3. It's simply cool

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 10:00

You can add less thermal build-up inside the machine and data safety to the list - It's easy to store an external system drive separately from the laptop, in case the latter gets stolen.

No Events found!