Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 15:00

Touch pad issue - straight line input doesn't translate to straight line on screen

I have had this laptop since Dec 2021, and have had an issue with the touchpad essentially as long as I've had it.

The issue is intermittent, so I didn't fully clue in on it until after using it for a while. (No longer able to return it.)

Simply put, if I move my finger along a diagonal straight line on the touch pad, the path the mouse follows is curvy/zig-zagging. See the attached screenshot showing what happens in the MS paint app. My finger path is not that bad at keeping straight, and sometimes when the issue isn't present the lines are very straight. The issue happens in all apps as far as I can tell.

One might suggest this isn't so bad an issue, but when it makes selecting buttons etc. on a GUI rather difficult, my productivity drops to 0, as I can't actually use most apps. Sure I could get a mouse or primarily use the keyboard, but the touchpad is kind of an essential part of a laptop.

rsmbg_0-1674517148829.png

Here are some questions I have:

1. Has anyone ever experienced this issue, and even fixed it? Hardware replacements, softwares updates, drivers updates, and windows re-install from scratch all have failed.

2. I've had technicians come in to fix my laptop 3 times, and I'm about to receive my laptop back from its 2nd mail-in repairs. I've suggested a replacement device, but I have never had anyone from Dell even come close to saying yes to this. Is this a common occurence to take so much effort to repair a laptop?

3. I'm coming to the conclusion that I might never actually get my laptop repaired. I've asked dell tech support countless times, but they refuse to answer: Is there some sort of escalation or next step process that is followed if a repair isn't an option? 

4. Will I remain in repair limbo forever sending the laptop in and having it be returned still with the issue, and then being told to send it in again!? 

At this point, I'm considering just getting a new laptop, and it most definitely won't be a Dell.

Thanks for reading my rant, and any answers are greatly appreciated!

176 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 16:00

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Dell laptop's touchpad. It sounds like a frustrating problem that is impacting your productivity.

1. This issue is not very common, but it is possible that it is caused by a hardware malfunction or a software issue. Some possible solutions you might try include updating your touchpad driver, checking for any software updates for your laptop, and trying to use an external mouse.

2. It is not uncommon for technicians to perform multiple repairs or replacements in an attempt to fix a problem. However, it is also possible that the issue is not being properly diagnosed or that the repairs are not being done correctly.

3. If a repair is not an option, you may be able to escalate the issue to a higher level of support or request a replacement device.

4. It should not be a endless loop of sending the laptop in and having it returned still with the issue. It's important to communicate clearly with the support team about the issue, and the efforts you have made to try to resolve it. If the issue is not being resolved, it may be time to consider a different course of action, such as requesting a replacement device or seeking a refund.

It's important for you to contact the Dell support team again and let them know about the problem with the touchpad and the repairs that have been done, and request for a replacement device, if the issue can't be fixed.

7 Posts

February 11th, 2023 12:00

Thanks for the great and clear reply ewongsmx.

Quick update: I have received the laptop back. I found the issue still present and worked with a dell technician to update any drivers etc. that might still be causing the issue. No luck. I beleive I will be sending it again for repairs again soon.

I'm glad it's uncommon and other people aren't regularly experience this issue, but that's too bad because I was hoping for a true solution. 

Interesting to hear that multiple repairs is not unheard of, thanks for sharing that. I have been doing my best to communicate the issue, via screenshots, video capture, and text explanation. Hopefully this upcoming repair it will be clear to the technician what the issue is.

I have asked for a replacement device probably literally 50 times. But I am never offered that option. Considering the time and effort that has been put towards repairing my device, I think the replacement would be more cost effective, but I don't make that decision unfortunately. I do like the laptop besides this fairly glaring issue.

Fingers crossed that when I send the laptop in this next time it comes back fixed, or that finally my request for a replacement device is actually considered.

Thanks again for the reply. I will try to remember to post here again after this third round of mail-in repairs.

7 Posts

March 15th, 2023 16:00

Hello,

I sent my laptop in for repair a little over a week ago. I received it back yesterday and have been trying it out. It is now back to windows 10, looks to be a totally new install. Despite my attempts to "communicate clearly with the support team about the issue", i.e. specifically sending both video and screenshots of the issue I experience, the laptop was returned to me still with the issue present. 

I don't know whether my emails were ignored, if the technicians didn't bother testing for my issue, or if they were simply unable to fix the issue due to lack or skill or knowledge, or perhaps some other edge case that someone meants the issue is still present, but the end result is the same.

I have now sent the laptop in 3 times and received it back and found the issue present almost immediately. I have had 3 technicians make home visits for repairs too.

I continue to ask for a replacement or refund, but am constantly denied it or the request is essentially ignored.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. 6 different repairs attempts have not fixed the issue, and tech support does not seem able or willing to escalate the issue to a different solution.

Do I simply give up and accept the expense of buying a faulty high end laptop? Certainly if I decided that I won't be buying another dell.

Hoping that I might be able to receive some support from here. Thanks in advance for reading the details of my issue and for looking into how a solution might be found.

1 Message

March 16th, 2023 02:00

you're having an issue where drawing a straight line on your touchpad doesn't translate to a straight line on your screen, there could be a few potential causes. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Clean your touchpad: Sometimes, the touchpad can accumulate dirt or grime, which can interfere with its accuracy. Try cleaning your touchpad with a soft, lint-free cloth and see if that improves the issue.

2. Adjust your touchpad settings: Depending on your operating system and touchpad software, there may be settings you can adjust to improve accuracy. Look for options like "PalmCheck" or "Touch Sensitivity" and experiment with different settings to see if that helps.

3. Update your touchpad driver: Make sure that you have the latest driver for your touchpad installed. You can usually find this on the manufacturer's website or through your computer's device manager.

4. Check for physical damage: If your touchpad has been dropped or otherwise damaged, that could be the cause of the issue. Look for any cracks or other signs of damage and consider getting your touchpad repaired or replaced.

5. Try an external mouse: If none of the above solutions work, try using an external mouse instead of your touchpad. This could help you determine whether the issue is with the touchpad itself or with your computer's software or settings.

If none of these solutions work, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer or a computer repair professional for further assistance.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2023 20:00

Hi Worios,

While I appreciate the reply, it does not appear as though you read the rest of this thread. The situation is that I have sent my laptop in for repairs multiple times, and the touchpad issue remains, despite hardware repairs, OS reset, and switching from windows 11 to windows 10. 

So, most of your numbered suggestions aren't relevant. 1. The touchpad hardware was replaced, so cleaning it is not relevant. 2. This suggestion would be helpful, but I have tried many variations of settings, and never been able to resolve the issue, which is why the laptop was sent in for repair. 3. The drivers and operating system are up to date, and the tech support would always make sure I did that before they would accept that a repair should take place. 4. The touchpad is newly replaced. I did not explicitly state that previously. 5. I have tested this using a mouse previously, the issue is the touchpad.

Sadly, your reply is similar to those I receive from tech support emails, in that a real solution to my issue isn't really suggested. I would be happy to have my laptop repaired, but every time I send it in, I receive it back with the same problem.

My conclusion at this point is that despite paying for warranty and support services when buying a dell laptop, dell won't necessary ensure that their product works.

7 Posts

April 15th, 2023 09:00

Short update on this situation:

My laptop continues to have the same problem.

I have been in communication with a dell tech support employee over email. They assured me they are "actively working on your request, and we are still waiting for an update from our senior team."

This was in March, it is now mid April. 

My previously conclusion remains: 
Despite paying for warranty and support services when buying a Dell laptop, Dell won't necessary ensure that their product works. Dell also won't make the effort to ensure their customers receive a refund or replacement if they buy a faulty product.

7 Posts

May 8th, 2023 09:00

Another short update. I sent my laptop in for repairs for a fourth time. It came back last week and the touchpad issue remains present.

Why does Dell allow the effort to bother spending the time and cost to repair the laptop when it's basically guaranteed not to fix the issue? This can't be cost effective... Why doesn't dell simply offer a replacement or refund?

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

May 29th, 2023 10:00

Hi @rsmbg, I have a 2022 Inspiron 7620 2-in-1 and i can reproduce your issue in the windows paint app, albeit with a little less variation in the diagonal line the thicker the line size you have enabled. 

The issue does not reproduce in other drawing apps like the microsoft store provided microsoft whiteboard app and onenote. In both of those apps a trackpad drawn diagonal line is smooth and without the variations you are experiencing in windows paint app.

That would suggest that the issue here is the drawing app and not the trackpad.

Does your issue reproduce in those other free drawing apps?

myusrn_0-1685382103929.png

myusrn_1-1685382130463.png

myusrn_2-1685382186129.png

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

May 29th, 2023 11:00

. . . and wrt you having issues with clicking on small buttons, checkboxes and small UI elements like sliders and grab handles have you experimented with your settings [ winkey+i ] > trackpad > cursor speed and taps > touchpad sensitivity settings?  You might try a slower cursor speed to make it easier to get in right place to have touchpad click or click and hold behaviors target the desired element and see if that makes a difference.

No Events found!