Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

February 21st, 2018 03:00

Trackpad not working well

Dell Inspiron 3552

Windows 10

I am having trouble adjusting to this trackpad.  It's cumbersome to click the mouse.  First of all, I have to press down pretty hard for the click to work.  Sometimes it doesn't respond to me clicking and sometimes it clicks twice (closing out the window that I am on and the window behind it, for example).

Some of this could be that I am not that used to trackpads.  But, I think some of it would be in line with more experienced users.

February 21st, 2018 05:00

Sorry to hear your issue.
Power 💪 off system.
Restart system and press F2, your system will boot to Bios, check if the touchpad works fine here.
In Windows 10, search for Touchpad settings, and adjust sensitivity
If issue persist go to Support Site, download and install Touchpad drivers and Bios

March 8th, 2018 22:00

Thank you very much for the reply. 

When I booted the computer by pressing F2, the first screen that the computer brought me to where I could do anything was a screen where I could use the touch pad.  I move the mouse around but there was not much opportunity to test the mouse as there wasn't much of anything to click on and test the touchpad's clicking ability.  I think the only button there that I could press was "continue."  When I did that, it brought me into the UEFI (sometimes referred to as the BIOS).  Here, I believe you can only use the keyboard.  Next, I exited the interface and booted into Windows.  In Windows, there was immediately a notification saying that the computer wants to install or update (I can't remember which one) the trackpad.  It went through about 10 minutes of installing updates. After that, the touchpad doesnt seem very good still.  For example, I clicked and dragged the scroll bar in Edge and the response is incorrect. 

I will try to download the driver like you suggest.  I don't know what you mean when you say to install the BIOS.  Flash the UEFI, you mean?

March 8th, 2018 22:00

When I go to the Dell support page, I don't see an option to download touchpad drivers.  But, I do see that there is a system bios update available.  Should I just download and try to install that one?

2 Posts

October 4th, 2020 20:00

For what it's worth, this trackpad issue may be from a swollen battery if your model had the battery underneath the trackpad.  My son and I just installed a new battery on his Inspiron 13 and suddenly his trackpad is working properly when before it was slow and left click did not work.  His swollen battery was pressing hard against the underside of the pad making it misbehave.  

No Events found!