Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2019 12:00

UEFI not listing my drives, and file explorer has drive not in disk mgt

inspiron 5570

inspiron 5570, please see pics, when I boot into UEFI, I don't my list of drives which should be C-std sata drive,  there is a D(ESP) listed in win explorer but does not show in disk mgt, E-usb external drive, and F-ssd drive 

I have moved/created  my windows 10 to F(ssd) from C with partition magic and want to be able to boot from it but can't do that if I can't get it in the boot sequence prior to the C drive

my UEFI does not look any other I have seen while checking 10+ UEFI posts

uefi3.pnguefi.2.jpguefi.1.jpguefi.dsk.mgt.png

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2019 22:00

Have you tried a F12 boot up you should be able to select which Bootable drive to boot from?

5 Posts

November 25th, 2019 11:00

yes, F2, F12, uefi  does not show a list of my drives, it seems I have to somehow provision uefi to make it do that?

that seems kind of lame, should it not do that as standard issue?

in any event, I need/want to be able to specify to boot from my ssd or dvd or usb connected external drive.

read 10+ uefi  posts, getting nowhere as of yet how to provision my uefi just to get a basic available drive list

if any body knows appreciate your help, 

I tried to follow this post which came closer but no  luck

https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frbsdt1/sln142679/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled-windows-10-8-1-8?lang=en

uefi3.pnguefi.2.jpguefi.1.jpg

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

November 25th, 2019 13:00

Actually F12 will only list disk that are bootable,, If you move C: Partition with partition magic, does not support UEFI or GPT in order for your OS to boot you need the boot manager to know what partition to boot. The way to accomplish that is to Clone you os Drive to another drive. You can also look up on how to edit your Boot manager to possible be able to boot your Windows OS on F: Drive from your post I would say that boot manager is looking For a bootable C:\

UEFI GPT is quite different that BIOS MBR Legacy

5 Posts

November 26th, 2019 15:00

thanks, when are you available? I am pacific time and best time for me to work on this is about 9pm, but I would make time to work with you when you are available. can we chat or talk? or just send email? email would be ok if I knew you were there to answer when you receive an email from me, kind of like a snail-mail chat

thanks again , robert

• 

25.7K Posts

November 26th, 2019 15:00

Hi,

I would request you to drop me a message when you are ready to continue troubleshooting.

-Vive

• 

25.7K Posts

November 26th, 2019 16:00

Not a problem, please get back to me here when you are available to continue working on this. We'll quickly review and assist you further via community forum here. 

Dell-Prashanth

5 Posts

November 26th, 2019 17:00

is forum assist then available 24/7 ?

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

November 26th, 2019 18:00

Yes, we are available round the clock(24/7).

5 Posts

November 30th, 2019 00:00

my default inspiron 5570 uefi boot, does not show all my drives. I want to be able to change the boot order.

can't really find a post anywhere how to provision how my uefi to show all drives like in so many uefi examples, my default only shows my hdd, no dvd, no ssd, no usb

uefi3.png

If anybody can explain or have a link how to do this please reply,

alternately, is it possible to change the boot to what I'm calling legacy or the boot menu that came up before uefi, like this below

uefi.legacyboot.png

hopefully the legacy boot will show all the drives

• 

25.7K Posts

November 30th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

I have replied to you on a private message.

Dell-KughaluA
Social Media Team

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 1st, 2019 11:00

It's important to understand that UEFI boot works in a fundamentally different way from Legacy BIOS boot.  With Legacy BIOS booting, you always to choose to boot from a device, like a hard drive.  With UEFI boot, that only applies to things like network adapters and optical drives.  When booting from an internal storage device like a hard drive, you don't just choose the device.  Instead, a UEFI boot option for an internal storage device is actually a path to a specific bootloader FILE on a specific partition of a specific disk.  These have to be registered into the UEFI firmware, which is typically handled during OS installation.  Windows Setup does this automatically as part of its installation routine, for example, and after you install Windows, you'll see an item in your UEFI boot options called "Windows Boot Manager".  Again, note that it's not just the name of your hard drive.  It's the name of the bootloader file that the option points to -- and if you choose to view the details of that option after it's created, you'll see the actual path to that specific file.  That's also why the "Add Boot Option" function asks you to point to specify a file rather than just choosing a device.

So if you haven't installed an OS yet, do that BEFORE trying to mess with your boot order.  If you need to temporarily boot from another device, the better way to do that is to press F12 during system startup, which will bring you to the one-time boot menu where you can override the normal boot order for that specific boot.  For temporary alternative boot needs, that's quite a bit faster than going into the BIOS, messing with the boot order, then having to go back and set everything back to normal after your temporary need is over.

1 Message

December 7th, 2019 23:00

Bbxrider,

Where you able to resolve your issue? If so, could you, please, post a solution?

I am facing the same problem. For some reasons, F12 option suggested by jphughun did not bring the DVD in the list either.

Thanks!

1 Message

January 21st, 2020 04:00

Tried to leave this in the feedback of a DELL article, but their feedback system is down atm... 

Looks like DELL has disabled on purpose Legacy boot on internal drives. Why would you do this?
It's a feature I need to boot legacy systems on my new laptop. I know it's less secure. I know I should embrace the UEFI. But I still want to. For the BIOS I'm sure this is not a technical issue it's just a flag, allow/disallow just because DELL/Microsoft/The BIOS makers/ wants it this way.

I'm very very angry and disappointed now DELL. I'm about to return my brand new laptop just because of this.
You don't just remove a feature guys. You are killing lots of old systems that may run perfectly fine just putting the harddrive in. You put a notice, a warning, you make it difficult to configure, but you don't just mark a checkbox to disallow in something that was working perfectly 2 years ago. I'm looking for a solution for this and I really wish there is a BIOS update to revert this move.

No Events found!