Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

March 31st, 2019 03:00

Unable to Format SSD added into Optical Drive space

Hi,
I bought HDD/SSD holder and a 500GB Samsung SSD EVO 860 2.5" Drive SATA III 6Gb/s. The SSD installs fine and is recognized by the Dell Inspiron 5567 in Windows 10. However, I try to format the drive via Disk Management, I get an error: "The Format did not Complete Successfully". Also, I try to format via command prompt and it can't also. SSD Drive via SATA to USB adapter or in another laptop can be format normally. 

Does anyone know why? I want to keep both my original 256GB Samsung SSD and new 500GB Samsung SSD installed internally. Is this an incompatible hardware or a software issue?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2019 07:00

Did you already try just removing and reseating that SSD in the caddy, then testing again? Are you running the latest system BIOS/firmware? You may as well update the firmware of the SSD itself too, preferably while it’s attached through the SATA to USB adapter if that’s currently the more reliable connection mechanism.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your reply. I have just updated BIOS to 1.2.6 version, but nothing changed. Also, I removed again SSD from the caddy and returned back, but I got the same message: "The format did not complete successfully". Samsung Magician says: Firmware Version: Latest (RVT02B6Q), Drive Condition: Good

6 Posts

March 31st, 2019 09:00

Yes, SSD is new.
I already tried to create partition and format via SATA to USB adapter. It works, but when I put SSD back in caddy it doesn't work.

I try with Command Prompt:

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
See the System Event Log for more information.

DISKPART> clean

Virtual Disk Service error:
The object is not found.

After that, I can't create partition primary. There is no disk in Disk Management. After a restart, I should initialize to see the disk.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2019 09:00

@MChule wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have just updated BIOS to 1.2.6 version, but nothing changed. Also, I removed again SSD from the caddy and returned back, but I got the same message: "The format did not complete successfully". Samsung Magician says: Firmware Version: Latest (RVT02B6Q), Drive Condition: Good

Did you buy this SSD brand new?  If not, I'm wondering if the drive still has one of its hardware encryption mechanisms enabled.  But otherwise, try starting from scratch using the "diskpart" Command Prompt tool.  To do that, open Command Prompt and enter the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk X (replace X with the number corresponding to your Evo, based on the output of "list disk")
clean (if you see an error on the first attempt, try just entering it again)
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

If you encounter any errors you can't get past somewhere in that sequence, then given that the drive seems to work as expected in the SATA to USB adapter, can you try creating and formatting the desired partition(s) while it's connected that way and then seeing if you can continue using it normally when you move it back to the caddy?  I admit that despite having worked in IT for about 15 years, I've never seen a case where a drive is detected and accessible to tools like Samsung Magician but can't be formatted successfully, even though it CAN be formatted when it's connected a different way....

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2019 11:00

So what exactly happens if you format the SSD while it’s connected via the SATA to USB adapter and then install it into the caddy? Is the partition not even recognized, or do you get errors trying to read/write files, or what? What does “doesn’t work” mean in that context? Do you have another HDD you can try installing into the caddy to see if this same behavior occurs with another disk? The I/O error you get when you try to run the clean command is what I remember getting when trying to wipe SSDs that still had their hardware encryption activated, but if that were the cause, that should be happening regardless of how the SSD is connected.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2019 13:00

Windows 10 boots longer, checks some disk errors (where SSD) and after several minutes I got raw partition without formatting. I haven't one more SSD.
I can make New Simple Volume, but I can't format. Windows shows drive as a RAW partition. I tried NTFS and exFAT quick format. When I unchecked quick format formatting takes forever.
Is there any restriction to using SSD in optical bay?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2019 20:00

I’ve never heard of a restriction like that. I do know that on some systems, the optical drive SATA port can be slower (like 3 Gbps or even 1.5 Gbps rather than 6 Gbps), but I don’t know about that specific system, and even that shouldn’t prevent you from using an SSD, because it should be treated like any other SATA device. I’m wondering if the caddy itself might be bad, which is why I asked if you had another drive. It doesn’t have to be an SSD, FYI. Do you have another HDD you can test?

6 Posts

April 1st, 2019 13:00

I replaced the HDD caddy and got the same result.  I have another laptop, but if I try to format HDD/SSD from that laptop data will be lost.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2019 15:00

I put SSD with OS from another laptop in the caddy and got the same problem (windows boot to long, RAW partition). I turn off Windows and when I turn back SSD in another laptop, I got A Disk Read Error Occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del To Restart
It's definitely a problem with Inspiron optical drive SATA or some motherboard restriction/support.
I don't know what to do.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 1st, 2019 20:00

@MChule wrote:

I put SSD with OS from another laptop in the caddy and got the same problem (windows boot to long, RAW partition). I turn off Windows and when I turn back SSD in another laptop, I got A Disk Read Error Occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del To Restart
It's definitely a problem with Inspiron optical drive SATA or some motherboard restriction/support.
I don't know what to do.

That's very strange. I've never heard of an issue like this. It's a Dell accessory, after all, so installing hard drives into the optical bay with this accessory is definitely supported.  And given that you've now seen this with a different caddy and a different HDD, I have to agree that it seems like an issue with the system.  I just don't know if it's something about that system model or your specific unit, and again I've never even heard of a situation where the drive would be recognizable to tools like Samsung Magician and yet somehow would not be actually usable in terms of formatting it and reading data properly.  I don't even know how that's possible at a technical level.  Sorry!

No Events found!