Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2022 19:00

Unstable SSD install - G3 15 3500

Dell G3 15 3500

Dell G3 15 3500

Hello Community:

System is the G3 15 (3500) with 256 GB M.2 (2230) SSD (main drive) + empty 2.5" HDD slot.

I need more storage.  I've installed a new WD Blue 500 GB 2.5" SSD into the empty HDD slot, but the system can't seem to decide if it wants to see it or not.

After install the BIOS correctly identified the new drive.  After boot Windows also correctly identified the drive, it appeared in the device manager and disk management console.  But when attempting to initialize the drive it simply disappeared.

After a reboot, it no longer appeared in BIOS or Win10 device manager.  After another reboot it reappeared in BIOS and Win10 device manager, but disappeared again shortly after.

After every boot it is a lottery whether or not the system will recognize the drive.  Have double and triple checked the physical install and BIOS settings, no idea why this is happening.  It's almost like it thinks its a removable drive that's being removed.  Cable perhaps?

Would appreciate your help.  Thx.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 13:00

To wrap this topic up for anyone who may experience a similar problem/issue in the future:

- Drive is not defective.  Installed in a different machine and operating normally.

- tried 2 new cables, 1 OEM and 1 eBay knock-off, neither resolved the issue(s).

I can only conclude that there is a HW issue either with the port/cable interface specifically or the board in general.  Immensely frustrating, but not likely worth the time/$$ to replace/repair.

Thx to JOcean and filbert for the input.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2022 19:00

It certainly sounds like a bad cable or even a defective drive. Run diagnostics, F12 at boot, and watch for any drive errors. But cables are cheap so I would suggest that first. Then if the problem persists you may have to consider returning the drive to the retailer or RMA the drive to WD.

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 08:00

Thx for the input JOcean.

Initial diagnostic run successfully identified and passed the new drive, however the problem persisted on subsequent attempts.  Sometimes it sees the drive, sometimes it doesn't.

You mention cables are cheap.  New territory for me...Dell doesn't appear to sell replacement laptop cables, and a cursory search of online vendors doesn't seem to offer any alternatives.  Any suggestions...where does one get a new cable?

Appreciate any input.  Thx.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2022 13:00

When Dell doesn't have a part, the first place to check is Parts-People: Dell G Series G3 3500 Laptop Replacement Parts | Parts-People.com

2 Posts

March 6th, 2023 15:00

Did you solve this?

2 Posts

March 6th, 2023 15:00

So what was the fix?  I am having the same exact issue.  If I power down and unplug the power adapter, it almost always starts out recognizing the drive.   If I restart, it doesn't usually see the drive.  Once it is recognize it works for a little while but something happens and it disappears.  How can we have identical issues with OP?  I am also using a WD Blue, but its the 1TB version.  It also happening on a Dell G3.  At first I thought it was a windows issue, but I have completely reset windows in trying to figure it out and its still happening.  

4 Posts

March 6th, 2023 18:00

Hi peterfng:

I could not ultimately solve the problem.  I resorted to replacing the main M.2 SSD with a larger one to increase my storage capacity.  As I mentioned in my last post:

1) it wasn't an OS issue as Win10 had no difficulty seeing the drive through other means;

2) It wasn't the drive as it functioned flawlessly when installed in 2 other machines;

3) it wasn't a cable issue as the new cables again worked fine in other machines.

I was left to conclude that the issue was the ribbon cable interface/port attached to the mainboard; either it was defective specifically or the board was defective in general at the interface.  Ultimately a QC issue imo, as I doubt the ribbon interface was damaged by anything I did.

So short of replacing the whole motherboard, there wasn't much else I could do.  Sorry couldn't give you an easy fix. Best of luck...

2 Posts

July 16th, 2023 01:00

Hi Everyone,

I had a similar Problem only that i had used a 1TB WD Blue.

After some thourough testing with some Seagate HDD´s and an old Samsung 830 SSD i came to the conclusion that the problem, most probably, lies with the WD SSD an not any Hardware on the Laptop.

I tested both of the Other drives by running Crystal disk mark on them multiple times and letting the laptop run them for about 1 - 2 hours. They never disconnected and were always shown in the BIOS.

The WD would crash / disappear from my explorer if it would be stress tested by crystal disk mark or after about 30 min (time varied between testing, sometimes it would disconnect after 5 min.  or 40 min., seemingly at random.)

I think i can conclude that the mainboard has some kind of incompatibility with the WD SSD, so if anyone reads this and has a similar problem they might want to try SDD´s / HDD´s from other retailers.

I hope this might be helpful to someone in the future...

Bye from germany.

1 Message

September 12th, 2023 05:47

@Saphir_

Hello Shapir,

According to your opinion, is the issue related to WD (Western Digital)? And if using a different SSD that is not from WD, will everything work smoothly?

Because I am also facing a similar issue with the WD SSD that I recently purchased and I'm feeling quite helpless because I can hardly do anything with this SSD. ( i'm using Dell G3 as well )

(edited)

2 Posts

April 12th, 2024 13:51

@AstaLee​ 

Hi AstaLee,

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, i think its some incompatibility with WD.

I now have a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB installed in my G3 and have never had any problems with it.

I hope this helps.

No Events found!