1 Message

November 25th, 2020 08:00

Upgrading a dell inspiron 17R 5720

Hello everyone

I have a dell inspiron 5270 with 

- intel core i7 

- 1 Tb HDD 

- 6gb sodim DDR3 (1x2gb and 1x4gb)

I love this laptop, but I want to upgrade it, but I cannot find any decisive information about a msata ssd (and to how much gb it can go), if a normal SSD works (my brother had one placed but it didn't work), if the optical drive can be swapped for a hard drive caddy and if having a ssd externally is as good als internally

Furthermore, sometimes the laptop just shuts down, usually during gaming, I think it has to do with temperature, but it doesn't feel extremely hot when I check

Answer on any of these questions are welcome

Thnx in advance

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

November 25th, 2020 09:00

According to the manual, the mSATA socket will take up to a 32G drive.  It's designed to cache the main hard drive.

You may be able to install a higher capacity mSATA drive, but even there you'll face limits, since these weren't made in large numbers at high capacity (the largest common size was 512G).  This is also a dead-end technology you won't be able to use in any future system, and the per-gigabyte price will be high as a result.  Also, most mSATA drives max out at 3G/s or half what you'll get from an internal 2.5" SATA  SSD.

Best course of action:  install a 2.5" SATA SSD in place of the hard drive, and if you want to install the existing hard drive in a caddy for storage purposes, do that.  There very often is a slower SATA channel for the optical drive bay, so installing the SSD there will hamstring performance -- and you may not be able to boot a drive installed into a caddy.

No Events found!