Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

January 20th, 2019 15:00

Wakey Wakey! - Inspiron 7373 takes ages to wake from sleep

I can find many places in these forums and across the web for people complaining that their dell computer is not waking from sleep. I am in this boat too. No one in any of the forums has gotten to the bottom of the issue and posted something that actually solves the issue for them. Dell doesn't seem to respond or care. (as can be seen by this post which has 200 views and 3 people saying they are experiencing the issue with nobody from dell responding. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/7373-Freezes-and-Cannot-Wake-Up-from-Sleep-Very-Frustrating/m-p/6202246#M38759) People just seem to get exhausted with it and give up. 

When my dell inspiron 7373 notebook goes to sleep, it takes well over a minute of sitting there with a blank screen and power light on solid (as if the laptop is awake) before it decides to do anything. Sometimes the only way to get it to wake back up is to hold down the power button to force off and start up again as normally. 

I have followed the steps here. 
https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/sln309800/windows-10-troubleshooting-sleep-hibernation-issues-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

I would like some assistance with this issue with something that will work. I have already put close to 40 hours into researching and troubleshooting this issue over the past years since I have owned this laptop. Others are in the same boat .

Dell, please respond. 

1 Message

February 2nd, 2019 21:00

Pls help... I am facing the same problem..I have to sometimes wait for up to 6 mins for the laptop to wake up and even ended up shutting down the laptop using the power button and starting the laptop.

9.4K Posts

February 4th, 2019 08:00

Hi Makmax,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

In recent versions of Windows 10, the sleep mode has been replaced with modern standby, and the system will exhibit many of the issues you've described.  Dell is supporting modern standby and has taken the ability to manipulate the S3 sleep mode from the BIOS.  

If you are able to, here is a suggestion from another user of the Forum you may find helpful:  Go to: Start-Settings-System-Power & Sleep. From here you can change the settings for each to your desired setting. After you have done each one of these click on Additional Power Settings at the bottom. Click on each setting on the left hand column and change the settings on the right. Do this for each one. These should take care of your sleep settings for the computer.

If it's not working for you, then your model may not be supported for S3 Sleep mode.

If you are still having difficulties and the system is under warranty, then you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call.

March 19th, 2019 06:00

i have done, all what Your Sir tell to do... computer still is going into sleep even if sleep is turn OFF. Only way to wake it up is hold power button. I also done all trobuleshooting steps like my college which created post. System is still on warranty, 22days left :) HELP!

April 18th, 2019 02:00

I just received my system, from outside service, they told me that BIOS chip was corrupted on the motherboard. And they just resolder and program new one..

Computer now is working as a storm! 

ps. If you system is still under warranty, report it as soon as possible

July 9th, 2019 20:00

Hoping for a fix. My 3 months old Inspiron 7373 F441WJ2 have the same problem plus the cursor freezes from time to time. I'm exhausted to find fix. Back to my MacBook is the best solution I ever found. LOL.

1 Message

August 12th, 2019 06:00

I also have this "slow to wake" problem, on the linux OS (ubuntu 18.04 LTS). Yesterday the system took 13.5 minutes to wake from suspend, and this morning it took about 4 minutes. However I'd say it only seems to be slow to wake about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it will wake quite quickly, within 3-5 seconds.

Yesterday with the 13.5 minute wait, I kept track of the exact time I tried to wake the system, and then the exact time it finally woke. Afterwards I checked the kernel log, and discovered that new entries don't start showing up until a few seconds before the system starts responding.

There are always a number of kernel log entries when the OS is waking from suspend, all time stamped. The fact that none of those kernel actions were happening makes me think that whatever the BIOS was doing, it hadn't actually notified the OS of any power managment events or state changes or whatever until the very end.

Here are the sequence of events I'm seeing:

1. Open computer. Power switch light immediately illuminates, keyboard backlight activates.

2. No further activity. Screen does not come on, will not respond to key press or touchpad. Even caps lock toggle LED won't respond. If no keys are pressed for a while, the keyboard backlight will turn off, and it will come back on if a key is pressed.

3. After a seemingly random period of time, the screen backlight will finally come on, and will start responding to key presses or touchpad activity. Kernel log events start around this point, log is completely blank before, going back to the "suspend" entry.

I'm running the latest (1.14.0) BIOS version.

August 25th, 2019 18:00

Also on the 7373 2-in-1.
I've had this same issue with my machine, persisting across windows, ubuntu, mint, kubuntu, and manjaro distros.

It's happened when the system was dualbooting. It's happened under a single OS. It's happened under a factory reset and a fresh windows install.

However, I've found an extremely stupid solution.
I have a satechi usb-c hub (ethernet, hdmi, usb-a, sd and micro-sd) that if plugged in while the laptop is stuck on waking, will cause the screen to blink back on and the system to resume as normal.

I don't own any other usb-c hubs, but if others could replicate this behavior, maybe it will help someone smarter than me come up with a real fix.

My actual solution has been to disable sleep, and map all button/lid actions to hibernate instead. Would really like the speed of a suspend mode back, though.

1 Message

January 16th, 2020 02:00

Hello All,

Also on the 7373 2-in-1. 
I've had this same issue with my machine, persisting across windows and ubuntu.

I use both of OS. So it is 100% hardware issue.

Dell Please do something!!!!!!!!!!

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

January 16th, 2020 06:00

@robert p wrote:

...In recent versions of Windows 10, the sleep mode has been replaced with modern standby, and the system will exhibit many of the issues you've described.  Dell is supporting modern standby and has taken the ability to manipulate the S3 sleep mode from the BIOS...

...If it's not working for you, then your model may not be supported for S3 Sleep mode...

Hi @robert p :

Could you please clarify if you are referring to S3 (the old "legacy" Standby standard) or Modern Standby (S0 Low Power Idle). According to the Microsoft article Power Models and the Advantages of Using Modern Standby, S3 and Modern Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) are two different power modes.

If I run the command "powercfg /a" from an elevated command prompt I can see the BIOS for my Inspiron 15 5584 (the current v1.9.1 recommended for Inspiron 5583/5584s) supports S3 but not Modern Standby (S0).

Dell Inspiron powercfg_a Command 16 Jan 2020.png
———————
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.535 * Firefox ESR v68.4.1 * Windows Defender
Dell Inspiron 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

December 23rd, 2020 07:00

At this point, I'll be buying another laptop (anything but a Dell) before this issue is solved.
If it truly is a hardware problem, as all evidence seems to indicate, I am not holding out hope for a fix for a 3-year-old, midrange laptop. Especially since it primarily affects a non-standard OS.

With that said, the sleep and hibernate issues seem to randomly affect Windows as well (20-40% of the time, vs 100% under linux), and I've lost track of the amount of work that has disappeared due to this stupid machine. It's impossible to use it as a laptop, and it has basically become a desktop I can carry to work.

For anyone who lands in this thread from google, here are a couple things I've been able to confirm. No idea if this is consistent across machines, but they are consistent on mine:

1. Plugging any kind of display-enabled hub into the usb-c port seems to wake the laptop immediately.

2. In the event that the laptop does wake from sleep, the next time it attempts to sleep the caps lock key blinks, indicating a memory error. However, all software diagnostics come back clean.

I firmly believe in getting the most out of hardware from both a budget and eco-friendly point of view, so if those facts can help anyone smarter than me squeeze some more life out of this model of inspiron I'll be happy.

1 Message

March 25th, 2021 16:00

I second this, all of this information is true. Very frustrating!

October 4th, 2023 00:43

I have loved my Dell 7373 2-in-1 laptop since almost 4 years now. Unfortunately, recently it's been giving me this exact same battery issue. I am a CS student in my first year master's abroad and I really need this laptop to stay with me throughout this course. Please help me!

13 Posts

February 25th, 2024 23:28

@Darlene Nazareth​ Five years later and sleep does not work.   Havent experienced in awhile but then creeped back up on me today.   I'm thinking this laptop is near retirement.   Its a shame because its a solid i7, I have upgraded to a 2tb ssd and the 16gb RAM is still same as being offered on market

13 Posts

February 25th, 2024 23:29

@7373-sleep-troubles​ plugging in a usb-c hub for me does absolutely nothing

No Events found!