Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

February 3rd, 2018 11:00

Wifi very very slow

Regards,
I own an Inspiron 17 5770 notebook with Intel Core i7-8550U processor, CPU @ 1.8GHz 1.99 GHz with 16 Mb of RAM. Have a Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wifi network card. And it has Windows 10 pro.
I live in Argentina and bought the machine in the UK through a friend in the month of December 2017. The wireless network connection is very poor and I have tried it in different places. I have done tests with the SW Speednet test on this machine and on an old Vostro that I have to compare: it always gives me a speed between 4 to 6 times slower as it descends but it coincides with the speed of rise. If I connect it through cable it works perfect.
I updated the drivers, BIOS, searched for Bloatware, uninstalled SmartByte, anyway ... everything they suggest in chats, blogs and Internet sites without success.
I called the support of DELL several times and, depending on who attends me, makes me do different tests, uninstall things, change the parameters, etc. And they always come to the conclusion that my machine is too modern for Latin America (an answer that seems too inadequate).
They mention the different parameters between regions. According to what I could find out each country has a different rule in the channels. But the driver does not let me change country or region like the Vostro. Which is weird because for the DVD region it's just changing a parameter. Since laptops were born to be transported and should be transparent if the user changes the country. In fact, I do it constantly for labor issues
Do you know any upgraded Qualcomm Driver, can you think of something else to do or should I change my Wi-Fi card to suit my country?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 5th, 2018 09:00

You check to see if the Wireless Adapter Settings are set to Maximum Performance in the Power Options?

How To Fix WiFi Limited Access Problem In Windows 10

Also, you updated the latest firmware for your cable modem or router? If no, I suggest you check the devices manufacture for the latest firmware.

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 5th, 2018 10:00

Lastly, 

Please check out the video in link below. I know it says WIFI not connected but some of the troubleshooting steps in the video apply to slow WIFI as well.

https://youtu.be/XCap1iLgmEo?list=PLdLDGmnHB07NVpbsbTGeiW-NLjpVZufxB

November 1st, 2018 18:00

I just bought the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series with 8GB RAM and 2TB HDD with the same Qualcomm wifi adapter QCA9377. The wifi connection speed is very slow. I have an Dell Inspiron using external wifi DLink adapter, the spped is super fast. Updated everything but nothing works! Dell or Qualcom wifi adapters are garbage and **bleep**ty!

1 Message

November 28th, 2018 15:00

After many days of troubleshooting I found the links below, if you have slow wifi on a FIOS router (and maybe others?) check your router settings and turn off WMM/QOS on your router, worked like a champ for me. See the links below. I found these when looking for driver issues and issues with the Qualcomm card. 

https://wwwybrikman.com/writing/2012/02/19/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload/

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/SOLVED-IdeaPad-510s-Qualcomm-QCA9377-slow-wireless-download/td-p/3629594

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2753464/atheros-qualcomm-qca9377-802-compatibility-issues.html

1 Message

December 5th, 2019 15:00

I had the slow Qualcomm QCA9377 and read many of these threads including uninstalling smartbyte.  None worked until I disabled the WMM/QoS on my FIOS router as detailed below.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/SOLVED-IdeaPad-510s-Qualcomm-QCA9377-slow-wireless-download/td-p/3629594

The strange this was that this only affected my new Dell Inspiron and not my older laptops.  In any case, this may also be part of the problem.

1 Message

January 9th, 2020 14:00

Disable DNE Lightweight Filter in wireless adapter properties

2 Posts

July 29th, 2020 07:00

This seems to be a common issue people are not speaking about. Happened to me with 2 of their laptops. I would not buy their laptops. Great experience with their desktops... but I had the same thing and no support. One computer was a total throw away. Dell blamed it on software. I explained that this is an out of the box issue... I did not install any software, just what you included. We never got anywhere and the machine was useless. Meantime my wife had a touch screen one with the same issue. I have a 100 Meg symmetrical service and it gets between 0.5 and 2 Meg on download. Location does not matter... multiple other machines have no issue achieving 10 - 20 or more. When I plug it in I get full speed. So that is 2 laptops with this setup. One a total throw away and waste of $300 - $400 and the other a frustrating and wasteful experience.

1 Message

September 4th, 2020 21:00

What worked for me was going to device manager, selecting Qualcomm wireless adapter, then going to advanced tab, and changing preferred band to 5G...or option 3. It changed my speed from 50Mbps to 175Mbps. The default is no preference or option 1. Hope this helps.

1 Message

February 21st, 2021 20:00

I see after the original post is 3 years old, but it appears people are still having problems.  I too was experiencing slow / unusable internet with 2 brand new Inspiron 9350s with Qualcomm QCA9377 wireless adapters, with a FIOS internet router, and persisted with complete Windows reinstalls.  What I found worked for me was to throttle back / hard code the WiFi mode:

Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Adapter Properties -> Advanced -> Wireless Mode -> 03 - 11 b/g.

August 24th, 2021 06:00

Thank you.

1 Message

October 24th, 2022 13:00

You are a legend! I just set up my user account just to reply. My internet is now usable again. Thanks 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

October 27th, 2022 01:00

I found the solution! finally!!!
I turned off SmartByte and my internet speed doubled!
Don't know yet if it will stay stable, but I think it will.

Hope it works for you as well!

No Events found!