Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2020 21:00

Windows 10 home insider preview

I bought my inspiron 13 7373 used. It comes with windows 10 home insider preview. Anyone know of a way to go back to windows 10? I do have a usb stick with w10 on it. How can I tell if its even licensed?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 27th, 2020 04:00

You'll need to ask the seller.  The insider preview versions are essentially yet-unreleased (at least as of the time of installation) versions -- in other words, beta versions.  Verify with the seller that the system has a Windows 10 entitlement built in to its system board (the vast majority of systems sold in the US, Canada and elsewhere do - but there are parts of the world where preloading Windows is prohibited by law, and there are places where systems are sold with Linux, and do not come with an entitlement).  If the seller cannot ensure the system has a Windows 10 entitlement, walk away from the deal if you need it - or realize you'll be spending $140 more than you'd planned to on the system, as you'll need to buy a license.

13 Posts

I don't know. I haven't received it yet. And the system info screen wasn't shown in the ad. I didn't notice the version at first (I was on my phone looking) and when I got to a c to look, I saw the version more clearly. I guess I cant do much until I receive it and see it says activated.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

Does Windows 10 shows up as activated?

13 Posts

July 27th, 2020 17:00

@ejn63  I did ask the seller. She has no clue about it. Its already on its way (due here Tuesday). However, she did say I could return it. So I will be doing so. Thank you vey much!

13 Posts

July 30th, 2020 00:00

@ejn63 I chatted with a dell tech. I was told the w10 license is embedded in the motherboard. If that's the case, wouldn't I just be able to reinstall w10 with the usb bootable w10 drive? I didnt get a chance to ask that.... btw...still waiting on usps to deliver it!

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 30th, 2020 03:00

If this was a US-sold system that has its original system board, then yes - there's a Windows 10 key on its mainboard.

Outside the US, systems may or may not have the embedded key.  And if the mainboard was ever changed during a repair, that key may also be missing.  This is why only the seller can tell you.

No Events found!