Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2018 13:00

Windows Program Event Sounds Delayed

Event sounds on my laptop are delayed. The simplest example is when I press the Caps Lock key. When I press it the caps lock light goes on, but the event sound is delayed by one second or more. If I press the key again immediately, there is no delay. If, after the event  sounds, I wait about 3 seconds (or more) to press the button, the delay is back again.

This delay occurs on every notification tone such as 'default beep' or 'critical stop'.

Playing audio or videos have no delays at all.

I noted that if I have an audio player launched (active on the desktop, but not playing) that this delay does not exist.  The Windows Media Player, Power Media Player for Dell, and Classic media play all stop this delay, so some process must take awhile to start, and then closes shortly thereafter.

This problem occurs on an older Dell laptop as well as a new one. Both are Windows 10, both have Realtek Audio.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2018 09:00

My wife and I both have Dell Inspiron 5567 laptops. Hers is a year older, and has a different motherboard. It still has Realtek drivers, but hers was an older revision. It has no sound problem.

After trying to update Realtek drivers from Dell and directly from Realtek, I decided to try the drivers on her machine. I was able to download the drivers from Dell, and install them on my machine. Worked like a champ. No more delay!

As a disclaimer, I did not go back and touch the power delay settings. I don't know what state they are in now.

Versions for Reference:

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_51T6N_WIN_6.0.1.8142_A07 -- This worked!

Realtek AudioDriver-6_0_1_8383   --Directly from Realtek, no joy!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 12th, 2018 04:00

The Dell laptops with Realtek and windows 10 seem to have overly aggressive power management on the audio system. I think the delay is caused by the audio system having to wake up each time, but while the media programs are open it stays awake.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 12th, 2018 08:00

I have to agree with Jim, basically, and acknowledge on some systems the sounds are delayed.  It is strange on those systems you may also see things like typing being frozen for a second or two or scrolling not working until a second attempt.

I used to have two systems where the sounds were delayed.  Now I only have one since the Inspiron 15 7567 now has normal sound but the XPS 13 9365 still has the delays.

Restoring the correct timing on one system may be related to a recent Windows update but I do not know for sure.  I have been unable to track down a culprit.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 12th, 2018 12:00

I suppose all I might mention is of my 3 systems, the one still having the problem has a 1e on the first number.
1e

The others are showing other variations so none of the 3 systems agree with each other, except the middle number is always 03.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2018 14:00

@Saltgrass

I am doing all these tests with the laptop plugged in. When I run on battery, I notice, perhaps, a 100ms delay. I have tried 1E and 00 on 'ConservationIdleTime' and still see 100ms delay on battery--still fine when plugged in!

I read that if you try to change 'IdlePowerState' from 03, the PC resets it back to 03. Ihaven't tried it. I mostly use this PC plugged in.

My laptop is fairly fast - it's an Intel CORE i7 - that may have something to do with my perception of how long of a delay I get.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 12th, 2018 14:00

All I can do is keep looking.  I know the sound is not delayed if you are already playing a sound/music which makes me think some process is being suspended.  It could very well be tied to the settings you found.

The system with the 1e number is a modern standby system so not sure if those settings would need to be different.  But 1e is 10 times larger than 3.. if it is causing a delay.

I will probably try changing the number to see if I can get the delay down.  This system is also currently running on a Balanced power scheme as opposed to a Dell scheme.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 13th, 2018 14:00

I just put my system back on the basic Microsoft audio drivers and the sounds happened on time.

The registry power settings did not change. So it would seem the problem is related to the Realtek drivers, the latest I see on their site is 7/26/17

10 Posts

December 3rd, 2019 06:00

Hi, 

I have a Dell G5 about a year old. I've also had the delay in the audio. Symptoms are that after a 5-6 second no sound period, the first sound is delayed and then the next is on time provided there is no more 5-6 second periods. I fixed this by having the Maxxaudiopro window open. If I minimize the Maxx window, the symptoms recur.

Chasing this down, I discovered that Win10 was suspending the process. The delay was the time it takes to unsuspend. 

Closing Maxx Audio Pro doesn't help. Then there is no shown task other than realtek services. 

IveI been trying to find a way to stop Maxx audio pro from being automatically suspended when minimized, but have had no luck.

December 22nd, 2021 16:00

Sadly I get the same thing on a 2021 Dell XPS 17 9710 (11th Gen Intel) and it's absolutely maddening. The delay is worse using the built in audio & speakers. Not as bad with Realtek USB audio in the Dell WD19TB dock but still obvious and kind of annoying.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2022 11:00

Hello there.

I know its quite a long period to reply (: 

I have bought a Dell Inspiron 7400 with 11th gen intel, I experienced the same issue and maybe worse, system sound delay around 09-12 sec. and it affected my experience with video streaming like YouTube (if playback doesn't begin shortly try restart the system ) issue .etc. tried plenty of solution out there but no success. I did little bit tricky solution by downloading the latest Realtek audio driver from dell website release date 14/04/2022 and installed it, restarted the system and uninstalled from device manager/ sound, video and game controller section and restarted the system again. guess what!!! fixed and no more delayed sound or YouTube streaming issues. and the latest drive still there!!.

just wanted to share this solution cuz i know a lot of people experiencing same issue.

thank you

June 22nd, 2022 16:00

I can confirm this solution works, I have a inspiriun 3515 with ryzen and had exatly same problem, installed the driver from dell site, uninstalled from device manager, reboot and now sound works normal.

Thanks to this man!

November 17th, 2022 20:00

I had a similar problem but when connected through an HDMI port. I found that if I go into the properties of the device that the HDMI port was connected to (my case was a Samsung TV), then go to the Advanced tab, there are check boxes for Exclusive Mode. These are "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". If I uncheck these, it solved the problem.

No Events found!