fengxuerzk
1 Copper

Re: dell g7 and g5 Bios 1.5.0

I have the same problem with this bios 1.5.0, but it can not be rolled back to 1.3.0. It is just annoying that the "bleep" comes out randomly every a few intervals.

0 Kudos
Speechismagic
1 Copper

DELL FIX THIS ISSUE!

0 Kudos
gseries_issues
2 Bronze

new BIOS update worthless still have issues 😞

0 Kudos
Topcms
2 Bronze

Agree. I have just updated mine to 1.6.1 . I don't remember what version it was before but now my computer runs supper hot and the CPU seems to be sucking power all the time since it's frequency keeps high most of the time. Before it would go as low as 800mhz and stay there if i'm not using the computer for anything. Now if I turn it on and open the intel monitor thing it shows 2.5, 3.1 etc.. it never goes below 1.5. So sad with this man. 

0 Kudos
Yttersta
2 Bronze

There has been a big discussion on the Dell subreddit the past few weeks with no happy solution to this at all.

From BIOS 1.3 to 1.4 it was a total destruction of a good product, utterly stupid decisions to completely remove the fan curve were barely fixed in 1.5. The current status is that at 1.5, the idle temps are still far higher and the keyboard very uncomfortable to use when the entire chassis is nearing 60°C. I have noticed higher (?!) voltages also with the reduced fan speeds. 

Dell took my very well performing laptop and forced me to install BIOS updates with security reasons to destroy my entire user experience and satisfaction with them. Coupled with many more problems with Dell products recently I even told my institution not to include Dell suppliers in the purchasing bids for the foreseeable future in the process. Because of that Dell has been excluded from about 100 desktop purchases already in the past month. This is how I get back I guess, even though we are a small institution. 

For context, I had my institution purchase 5 G5 laptops and 5 OptiPlex 3050s for us to use in the lab recently. The amount of headache these 10 PCs put together haven't been matched in my entire life as an IT professional. 

I don't think they are even working on a further fix after v1.5.0 anymore. So they removed the fan curve, worsened default voltages, thought they were doing good; and now even a heavy undervolt + high quality thermal paste applied PROPERLY (not with a tea spoon like how I believe Dell had applied the 5 G5s I have serviced so far originally) cannot prevent overheating. 

This is a gaming laptop. I purchased it with a CPU that matches Ryzen 1600s and/or overclocked i7 4930k CPUs that I have for testing. I want it to perform. I want it to be loud. This is not a leisure laptop. I want a proper fan curve.

augustl
3 Argentum

Well said and agreed

0 Kudos
augustl
3 Argentum

Sent mine into service center

manchildvegas
1 Copper

@Yttersta

I generally agree with all your thoughts. Well said!

However, have you tried ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU and Cache? I mention this because the Intell XTU utility DOES NOT remember your settings on a consistent basis. Then your forced to run a PowerShell script and I could never get it to work on a consistent basis.

Using TS on my G5 it's set to undervolt -134.8 and all my temps are satisfactory when I encode/render my Video work. Unfortunately I am not a gamer so I can't speaks to those results but cranking the CPU to 100% for 30 minutes the temps average around 80C with no nasty throttling.

I hope this helps. 🙂

0 Kudos
augustl
3 Argentum

This problem persists even if CPU is undervolted, mine was -250mv core, -125mv cache. I've seen many other reports of undervolted yet still overheating.

0 Kudos
Yttersta
2 Bronze

@manchildvegasThank you for the tips! 

Indeed I have tried ThrottleStop. For some reason, however, it just does not play with my G5 as well as XTU does. So, instead, I am starting up XTU with a script that applies my saved profile every time I restart the PC. 

My current settings are -0.155 on the CPU and -0.155 on the cache, with C states, speedstep, and speedshift enabled in BIOS, and finally I am allowing the CPU to go down to 5% in Windows' useless power settings. 

My issues aren't with gaming either. With the 1.5 BIOS, I noticed Dell has put on a, what I would call, gaming switch (I think so, at least). Because as soon as I properly load both CPU and GPU together, then the fans go back to their BIOS 1.3 max of 5.4k RPM again, automatically. My issues are with Unity, MatLab, and C++, the use cases Dell apparently did not think of as I can make the CPU jump to 90°Cs easily before the fans reacted in their new settings. 

I am an academic so most of my work is out of normal use cases. The sole reason why I bought the G5 instead of the XPS 9570 was to have better thermals and power limits. What I apparently should have thought of was that Dell is overrun by utterly ridiculous BIOS developers.

0 Kudos