Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2018 13:00

slow wireless download, fast upload on Inspiron 15 5566

Download speed 7.6, upload speed 31.2, other laptop and phones on network normal. Updated all drivers, BIOS and ran hardware checks, all normal. Using Netgear Nighthawk router and purchased Netgear A6100 network adapter to try and fix problem, slight improvement, from 6.1 download to 7.6, any suggestions would be appreciated.

591 Posts

November 19th, 2018 00:00

hello,

Just a blind guess but if you have an app on your laptop called "SmartByte" disable it's service this app is known for slowing down internet connections.

Windows key +r => type services.msc into the run box find SmartByte click stop right click the service and set the startup type to disabled after that check your internet speed again.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 13:00

I had the same problem until I updated the smartbyte app. Go Dell support and download here

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I hope this helps

2 Posts

August 28th, 2019 15:00

Having the same problem. removed Smartbyte completely and it made no difference. Getting 0.5 Meg download to a max of 4 - 5 (average in the 2 Meg range) with uploads hitting over 30 Meg. System is unusable in today's day and age. All other devices getting 10 - 15 on wireless for download. With an Ethernet cord it gets the full 75 Meg of my circuit. This is an out of the box issue... but still did a factory reset (and removed Smartbyte after) and issue remains. Dell stating that it is a software issue and not covered under warranty which covers hardware only. TThe only trouble is that this is the software and configuration they created out of the box. They are pretty much telling me I threw $400 in the garbage by trusting my business to Dell. I have spent thousands with them over the years. Amazing they would destroy my loyalty and ruin their reputation like this. If they think their software configuration is an issue... you would think they would take a crack at repairing it... but they claim no one has the authority to waive fees for that and do it and I am up the creek. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Message

July 1st, 2020 08:00

@confuseduser43  Bingo !! Take a bow .... resolved the issue on Dell Inspiron 5547. thanks a TON !!!

1 Message

January 5th, 2021 20:00

Just had this problem on a Dell Inspiron 17 7746. 4 mbps download, 40 mbps upload. Killed SmartByte after reading this and instantly jumped to 40 mbps both download and upload!

1 Message

April 4th, 2021 23:00

Thank you so much. Instantly speed goes higher. Have been waiting one year how to solve the issue. Tried many ways to resolve but none of that helped. But today this thread actually helped.

No Events found!