Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2013 06:00

Accessing Snapshots?

In the Celerra world, you add the /.ckpt to an existing path and see the checkpoints.

In preparation for training our support staff to assist users (we disable Windows Shadow copy) how are these access in the Isilon world?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 16th, 2013 06:00

.snapshot

306 Posts

May 16th, 2013 07:00

BLAH!!!!.. Now I remember..

Beautiful.. Thanks..

17 Posts

July 5th, 2017 13:00

This method seems to disappear when using smb3. Any one got any ideas? If i go back to a smb2 client it works fine, same share/directory.  I tried enabling/disabling security signatures.

17 Posts

July 6th, 2017 13:00

It turns out the issue was with .snapshot folder mostly not working, but occasionally working with smb2 and smb3. The issue was found to be inconsistent group policy setting regarding directory caching. This issue was not found with smb1 because directory caching is not used. The issue was observed on windows7/server 2012/server 2016. The below command fixes the issue on all OS's.

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" DirectoryCacheLifetime -Type DWORD -Value 0 -Force

300 Posts

July 7th, 2017 03:00

check your smb setting

isi smb settings global view

and look for the "Dot Snap" Values

300 Posts

July 7th, 2017 04:00

be aware, that this Parameter turn Directorycachelifetime off. This results in more queries (Directory-Listings) against your NAS-devices.

depending on your workflows, the amount of folders/files in your directories (Thus the size of the SMB-Response to a Directory listing request) and the number of users (multiplier of the size) this may result in increased network-traffic and maybe Performance issues.

this is quite a rare case, but it happens.

275 Posts

July 8th, 2017 10:00

Hello,

Best way to access Snapshots on Isilon / VNX / Unity from a Windows client is to do

Properties --> Previous version (because of the cahing yo mentionned, the NAS server does not "advertize" the . snapshot directory)

From a Unix client it is still by going to .snapshot

Regards,

Claude

No Events found!