Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2018 07:00

Best way to restore files from snapshots from Backup to Prod cluster with a GUI

Hi,

Hope somebody can assist me with the following:

Company demands there is a way to restore files from Isilon from a GUI (not (only) CLI).

Files are backupped from Prod to Backup cluster. /ifs/ path from both clusters are mounted on a RedHat Linux VM (GUI), so being logged on to this VM we can drill-down directories to copy back files from the snapshot directory on the Backup cluster to the Production cluster.

Now the situation is as follows:

The /ifs path of the Prod cluster is mounted as R/W, the /ifs path of the Backup cluster is mounted as RO (readonly).

The key we use to log on to the Isilon is different from the one used to log on to the restore VM, both are AD (ActiveDirectory) keys.

I noticed I can only create New Folder or paste files from within a File Window in the mounted /ifs directory and not in the directories below

that.

Also when copying files from the backup cluster to the Prod cluster file-permissions are not preserved.

My idea was to add the AD user which is used to log on to the restore VM to the Isilon as a member in Role SuperAdmin.

Does not seem to change a thing though.

I hope I have been able to make the situation clear enough with the above to get some help with what would be a good way to solve this.

1.2K Posts

April 11th, 2018 11:00

On both clusters, under the SMB shares in question,

configure "Run as Root" for the AD user (or AD group) who will perform the restore.

-- Peter

May 4th, 2018 01:00

Sorry for the late reply but thanks very much for your reply Peter!

That could be indeed where the solution for this may lie.

The filesystems are NFS exports though (not SMB shares). What would be a wise thing to do in this case?

Probably should be done by (Non-root?) user mapping? Mapping the AD users that login to the Linux GUI to a different user? If so, what user would that be?

1.2K Posts

May 4th, 2018 13:00

NFS is somewhat simplistic here...

You can allow a client root user to act as root on the NFS mount, or prohibit this ("root squash").

With Isilon OneFS you can also map all non-root users to some specified user,

but that user is not meant to be root, but for example 'nobody' -- i.e. with even lower general privileges.

A typical setup is to export with root permissions ("root as root") to one special client host,

and admins can login or sudo as root on that client (could be a VM serving just this purpose.)

-- Peter

No Events found!