Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 08:00

Can Isilon Filter Content Types on CIFS Shares?

My company just purchased two Isilons,two VNX7500s and VPLEX. We are looking to migrate our home folders, department folders and profile folders from Windows Storage Server 2003 to either VNX CIFS or Isilon CIFS but are concerned about which is considered the best platform for this. We currently use storage quotas and, more importantly, file content filtering on the user home folders so we can prevent users from filling expensive storage with all their home movies, photos and music. Our EMC sales team struggled with an answer to this question. I believe the VNX can do this, not gracefully, but possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide,

Frank

2 Intern

• 

467 Posts

February 26th, 2014 08:00

It is possible with the VNX platform (file) using file extension filters.    I do not believe Isilon has anything similar to that.

17 Posts

February 12th, 2015 04:00

you are right, it doesn't support the filtering feature yet, however there is something slightly similar which is "File Pool Policies" which at least enables you to filter the files according to type, size, names, etc... to be on a specific folder or a specific node type

1.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 05:00

In another EMC Isilon Community thread, veto files in smb-share, a user talked about filtering the DS_Store file, created by Mac OS X clients.  Would File Pool Policies work in that case as well?  Thanks!

1.2K Posts

February 12th, 2015 06:00

File Pools (a SmartPools concept) define file placement and protection on disk level (tiers), but cannot change a file's position in the directory tree nor other any attributes visible to the NAS user...   So File Pools are of no use here, sorry. 

-- Peter

No Events found!